† Chp. XIII †

Chapter soundtrack: 'On Melancholy Hill' by Gorillaz.

† Chp. XIII †

 XIII †

___

The falling of Gandalf dampened everyones spirit, as expected, and there is nothing I can do to lighten the mood. Merry and Pippin no longer walk with a spring in their step, Gimli hasn't made a complaint, and Boromir hasn't dived into a deep speech about the ring within the time it has taken us to enter the woods of Lothlorien. It all feels wrong.

But on the positive side, I am no longer the only weak ass with a runny nose and teary eyes.

I sneeze, and Pippin doesn't even bless me as he walks by my side. Dammit Gandalf, why'd you have to fall into a chasm?

Legolas and I haven't spoken or even looked at each other, but I am starting to feel the guilt. He must've been worried that someone would get injured if they tried to save the wizard, but I could've made it. Well, atleast I think I could've made it. Things weren't really clear at the time.

"Stay close, young hobbits." Gimli whispers, well for a dwarf anyway, as he ushers Frodo and Sam forward. "They say a sorceress lives in these woods. An elf- witch of terrible power. All who look upon her fall under her spell, and are never seen again."

"And who are 'they', the dwarves?" I remark, wiping my red nose as I walk up from behind. "Last time I checked, any elf is considered a witch in the eyes of a dwarf."

"Aye lassie, I guess you'll find out. I won't be the one going missing." The dwarf exclaims, and I raise an eyebrow as he continues. "Here's one dwarf she won't ensnare so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox!"

But with suddenty and extreme irony, Gimli finds himself face to face with the tip of an elven arrow.

"And the mouth of a trumpet." I add on, my hand hovering over the handle of my dagger. I look around to see that we are completely surrounded by elves, their arrows aimed towards our heads.

"The dwarf breathes so loud we could have shot him in the dark." One particular pointy ear states, as he weaves himself infront of his posse. Gimli growls in response.

"Watch it pretty boy." I retort, stepping forward with a sniff. "I'm the only one who insults the dwarf."

Captain of the pointy ears raises an eyebrow.

"Robin Hood." He pronounces with a slight tilt of his head. "Caught so easily. I had higher expectations."

I raise my eyebrows and cross my arms, taking a step forward while smirking at the obnoxious elf.

"And I had higher expectatio-"

"She's with us." Aragorn cuts me off, averting all attention to himself as he stops me from moving forward with the back of his hand. He then speaks a line in elvish, which is kind of annoying considering my curiosity always seems to eat me alive, but also kind of great since we are surronded by armed elves.