† Chp. VI †

† Chp. VI †

 VI †

___

She was 5 years old when she stole for the first time.

At first, it was a struggle for her to keep up with her brothers long strides, but he made sure that he wouldn't lose her in the bustle, as he clung onto her small hand. Weaving through the tall bodies, they made their way towards the market area, receiving many greets and smiles from fellow villagers who adored the Hood siblings.

With their boots scuttling against the dry ground, causing clouds of dirt to arise and swirl through the air, they found a gap in the herd of humans. The boy halted and swivelled around, grabbing onto his sister's shoulders.

He crouched down, being significantly taller than the girl, and turned his head in both directions to make sure that no one was eavesdropping.

"See that fruit stand over there?" He asked, his teal eyes glistening bright, and reflecting the trust in which the little girl radiated.

She nodded, averting her stare to the potbellied man in which stood behind the said stand. A deep chuckle bursted from his stubby mouth, as he conversed with a maid who placed some of the ripe goods into her basket.

"That's our treasure hold." He stated, a grin spreading across his thin lips as he was eager to teach his little sister a new skill.

The boy was a few weeks into 11. Therefore, he had started experiencing ways in which to fuel his urge to cause mischief. But, with a mother who was pretty well known in the small town, it was a challenge to get away with anything.

But he liked a challenge.

"First, you create a diversion." He stated, glancing over at the shiny fruit which contrasted against the neutral coloured town. "I'll deal with that, you grab two apples, okay?"

The little girl nodded again, nervous that she would get caught, but the boy assured her that she would be fine. Well, as long as she was subtle about it.

He began to run forward, turning his head to give his sister one last grin, and she stood alone in the bustling street.

All sorts of thoughts were running through her head. What if she was caught? What is her brother was caught? And, worst of all, what if her mother found out?

But, there was this hint of excitement that came along with the adrenaline of the moment, and that caused a new spark to ignite within her small chest.

A yelp sounded throughout the air, followed by a couple of gasps, and the little girls eyes widened as she saw her brother laying face down against the dirt ground. A cloud of dust swivelled into the air, and several people bent down to help him back up to his feet.

That was her cue.

She skipped over to the unsupervised stand, which was perfectly hidden behind the commotion, and quickly grabbed two of the juicy apples. Following her brothers orders, she crossed her arms, hiding the fruits under her arms as she stomped over to her mischievous sibling.

"Mom told you not to run when it's busy." She huffed, as the boy was assisted back up to his feet. He thanked his helpers, before brushing himself off and wrapping an arm around his sisters broad shoulders. The two siblings then made their way down the street, her brother faking a slight limp.

Once a distance away from the market area, the boy stood up straight, smiling down at his little sister.

"How'd you go?" He asked.

She grinned, revealing the two bright red apples. The boys eyes lit up as he felt pride towards his clever sibling.

"I knew you would ace it." He remarked, grabbing one of the apples and strolling down the street as he tossed it in his hand.

The girl looked at her apple with bright eyes, licking her lips as she paced beside her brother. Bringing the fruit up to her mouth, she bit into the gleaming skin, hers eyes lighting with delight at the exquisite flavour.

"No, don't eat it!" Her brother exclaimed, smacking her hand away from her mouth and causing the girl to furrow her eyebrows.

"Why?"

"Because it's not for us. You know that mom could easily buy us anything from the market." The boy stated, smiling down at the fruit which rested in his palm. "Some people aren't as lucky as we are."

The little girl tilted her head, as she stared at her brother with admiration.

"Like who?" She asked, curious.

"Phoebe Miller." He replied, a grin spreading across his lips. "She never has any food to eat at school, her parents can't afford much."

The little girl averted her gaze from her brother, to a girl who stood a couple of houses down. She was the same age as the boy, and had auburn hair which was always sat in an untamed mass of ringlets. Her skin was as fair as the lady of light, and small freckles kissed the strip which crossed her nose.

She smiled shyly as she saw the boy approaching, a glint of joy shining in her emerald eyes.

The little girl stood back and observed as her brother walked over to the girl, running a hand through his raven hair.

"I got you something." He remarked, holding his apple out to the wide eyed girl. She jumped in excitement, happily accepting his gift as she placed a soft kiss onto his pale cheek. The little girl mimicked a gag as she noticed her brothers cheeks start to turn pink.

With her gaze drifting away from the pair, she noticed a familiar face. Another little girl sat in the flakey dirt, her eyes glued to the shiny red apple. The girl was Phoebes little sister, someone who was labelled as a plain weirdo. Her body was insanely thin, and she was never fully clean, as dried out mud always seemed to stick against her battered skin. She was also in the same grade as the little girl, and was constantly teased at school. If it wasn't for her clothes that resembled rags, or her frizzy hair clammed into uneven patches against her scalp, it was due to the fact that she was mute.

The little girl had never spoken to her, but she felt pity towards her peer as she sat in the dirt, staring with a confused expression.

At first she was hesitant, because the apple had been the best she'd ever bitten into, but her brothers words echoed through her mind. Slowly walking over, the little girl extended her hand, offering her fruit to the voiceless child.

"I'm sorry, I've already taken a bite, but it's really good, I promise!" She remarked, rushing her words as she felt slightly embarrassed.

The girl sitting in the dirt simply smiled at her in joy, a new happiness pumping through her body as she accepted the kind gesture. Never had anyone been so nice to the mute little youngling, and the content that the girl felt was one in which she wished could last forever.

She was 5 years old when she fed a starving person for the first time.