† Chp. XXXVIII †

Chapter soundtrack: 'A Sky Full Of Stars' by Coldplay.

= cue music

† Chp. XXXVIII

 XXXVIII †

___

"Tell the men to break cover! We ride for Minas Tirith!" Faramir orders, as his fellows soldiers fall to slaughter by the masses of orcs, who pile through the stone maze of Osgiliath.

Suddenly, an ear splitting shrill slices the air.

"Nazgul!" A guard shouts. The black beasts swoop overhead, their sharp tendrils clawing at the men, and releasing them to a plummeting death.

"Take cover! Fall back!" Faramir shouts, his voice desperate above the shrills of both his men and the fellbeasts. "Fall back to Minas Tirith!"

The soldiers of Gondor fall back as Faramir continues to order a retreat. They mount their steeds, however many men meet their fate as the orcs unleash ruthless hate.

With desperate cries, the men break from the city of Osgiliath, racing across the plains to seek shelter within Minas Tirith.

The nazgul continue to attack, swooping down and wreaking havoc upon the riders as they pierce their armour with razor talons, soaring high into the air and dropping the men to meet a relentless death.

Many civilians watch the horrid scene upon the battlements of Minas Tirith, their eyes full of fear as sons, husbands, brothers, and fathers come to be slaughtered upon the fields of Gondor.

Suddenly, two steeds can be seen riding from the City of Kings, one horse as white as the peek of Amon Anwar. His reflecting coat resembles the grace of snow, a symbol of hope.

"It's Mithrandir! The White Rider!" Soldiers can be heard calling from the top of Minas Tirith. Many hearts rise with anticipation.

Robin rides beside Gandalf on her dark steed, her jaw clenched with fear at the loud shrills which echo the valley. Never has she layed eyes upon the black beasts, and the mere sight of their fierce silhouettes is enough to wreak fear within the young girl.

"Whatever his plan is, I hope it's a damn good one." Robin mutters to the stiff hobbit who sits before her, referring to the white wizard. She hands the reins to a fearful Pippin, before grabbing her bow off her shoulder, and firing arrows towards the beasts. Her hits cause the fellbeasts to retract from the men, however none are able to endure any real damage, and the dark creatures are quick to swoop back down. One winged nazgul turns to fly towards Robin upon the hit of her arrow, and the outlaw's heart drops from her chest.