† Chp. XXXIII †

† Chp. XXXIII †

 XXXIII †

___

She was 14 years old when she learnt to ride a horse.

Edoras had grown to become like a second home to the young girl. In fact, she devised a schedule in which guided her visitations between Fangorn and Rohan, ensuring she spent equal amounts of time with the ents and wizard, aswell as her Rohirrim friends.

In Spring, whens the woods exploded with all types of exquisite colours and scents, along with Autumn, when the canopy and drifting leaves would resemble that of a sunset, the young girl visited Fangorn. However in summer, when the days were too warm to spend wallowing around, and in winter, where a cozy, fire-lit cottage could protect her from the nipping wind, she would stay at Edoras.

This particular summer had become her favourite, for the 'Evengers', as they liked to call themselves, got up to all sorts of mischief. Eowyn and Eomer spent the hot days teaching Eretria the thrills and secrets of their city. From forging her own weaponry belt, to learning how to bake, the young girl grew a great appreciation for her two friends and their compassion towards the child of Fangorn.

However, Eowyn wasn't the best at anything relating to food, and the young girl often had to fake appeal in order to keep her friend pleased. Quite frankly, she didn't mind, for the pleasure in being around the girl of Rohan made her terrible cooking well worth it.

The simple fact that Eretria was engaging in normal, human activities made her feel as though she did infact belong somewhere. It made her feel united with her kin.

Today, Eowyn had taken them out into the plains surronding the elevated city. Surprisingly, Theodred had also made an appearence. It was rather rare for the heir of Edoras to be out with the trio during the day, as Theoden often had the teenager engaging in activities and training to prepare the boy for his role as future king.

The young girl raised her eyebrows as Eowyn lead two steeds, one tall stallion with a dark coat, and another grey mare who stood barely taller than a pony.

"Ever rode before?" Eowyn questioned, handing the rope bearing the broad stallion to Theodred.

"Nope, not unless you count long sticks with a sack on the end." Eretria retorted, running a hand across the mare's mane. The horse pinned down it's ears and shook it's head, the young girl jumped back in worry.

"This one's a bitch at first, but she will like you soon enough." Eowyn chuckled, and Eomer handed her a saddle. "Watch carefully, this is how you gear up your steed."

Eretria watched intently as the girl of Rohan saddled the mare. Theodred had already mounted his steed, and proceeded to gallop around the plains, showing off his riding skills to the young ladies.

"Looks like he's off to save a princess." Eomer muttered, raising an eyebrow. Eretria chuckled at his remark, crossing her arms as she too observed the young rider.

Soon, it was her turn to ride.

Eowyn mounted the mare, reaching out a hand to assist her young friend into the saddle.

"There's enough room for two." She announced, as Eretria settled in behind her. "Now observe carefully, you'll be holding the reins after me."

And with a short hoist of the wrists, the steed set off in a light trot, which soon lead to a fast gallop. It was like nothing Eretria had ever experienced.

The sensation worked as both a rush and a soother. With a wide grin, the young girl held to the back of Eowyn, her straight locks dancing in the strong wind created by their pace. Never had she experienced moving with such speed, all whilst simply sitting upon a creature of endurance. Her cheerful laugh echoed across the plains.

Soon enough, it was her turn to take control.

At first, the idea of guiding such a capable animal was quite daunting. However, with the guidance and assurance reinforced by Eowyn as she shared the saddle, Eretria was soon to properly ride for the first time in her life.

It took awhile for the stubborn steed to obey the young girl's whips of the rein, and light kicks to the stomach, but patience proved to create movement. And within only a matter of time, Eretria had mastered the art of riding. Well, to a degree in which can be reached in less than a day.

Eomer galloped beside the rather proud girl upon his tall stallion, challenging a race.

"What are you betting?" Eretria inquisited, bringing her steed to a rather messy halt.

"If you win, I'll do anything you want for two hours." Eomer bargained, also halting his stallion. "If I win, you have to pull a prank on Theoden- one stupid enough to be caught."

Eretria raised a brow, before Eowyn barked up a protest behind her.

"Two hours isn't enough time. One full day."

Eomer pondered the offer, before slightly smirking.

"One full day it is."

"Deal." Eretria closed.

And off the two steeds raced, across the plains of Rohan and towards an invisible, unmarked finish line. Of course, they did not stray far from Edoras, and Theodred watched upon a raised mound, rather amused by the ordeal.

The horses remained neck to neck, and Eretria leant forward, a technique in which Eowyn advised in order to create more streamline. Adrenaline coursed throughout her veins, a sensation which the young girl had grown to love, and it would be fair to say she had found a great interest in horse riding.

However, the mare suddenly kicked out it's back legs, causing the two girls to slide forward. It then reared up, and both Eretria and Eowyn fell down upon the hard ground.

The grey mare raced forward, kicking and hurling around it's head, as it made off into the distance.

"Shit." Eretria cussed, lifting herself and setting off into a sprint in an attempt to recapture the horse. However, Eowyn prevented the young girl from going far.

"It's okay, leave her be." The girl of Rohan remarked, lifting herself off the ground. "You should never restrain someone who seeks to be free."

Eretria simply nodded, watching as the grey mare raced across the vast plains, away from the stables of Edoras.

She was 14 when she learnt the true value of freedom.