Chapter 1

Jade
When I woke up this morning, I definitely didn't expect to be dealing with a boat accident on The Serpentine lake, leaving six people severely injured and four dead.

Sure, being a police meant going on all kinds of 999-calls but getting a 999-call saying there's been a fatal boat accident with five boats involved wasn't something that happened everyday.

"Come on, lift her up!" Chief Thompson yelled.

Jesy and I grabbed ahold of a young blonde woman and pulled her up on our boat. Carefully, so we wouldn't hurt her, we laid her down on her back.

Noticing she was unconscious, I put my ear above her nose and listened for breathing while keeping an eye on her chest.

Not hearing anything nor seeing her chest rise and fall, I realized I had to perform CPR in order to save her life.

With everyone else being busy rescuing the five other survivors, this young woman's faith was in my hands.

It had been a while since last time I performed CPR and knowing she'd either live or die based on how fast I was, added a lot of weight on my shoulders.

"Is she breathing?"

Looking up and seeing my partner and best friend look at me with her brown/greenish eyes, a wave of serenity washed over me.

As long as Jesy stuck by my side, saving this woman's life would be a piece of cake. Because she would help out as much as possible and make sure everything goes well.

"No, but I'll give compressions and you'll blow air into her mouth, okay?" I said confidently.

"Sounds like a good plan, partner" Jesy smiled.

Feeling a lot more confident about this, I placed the heel of my right hand on the woman's breastbone, then I put my other hand on top of the first, connected all ten fingers with each other, and pressed down her chest.

After I had done thirty chest compressions, Jesy placed her mouth against the woman's and blew twice into her mouth.

Seeing her chest rise slightly both times, the feeling we possibly could save her increased, igniting a flame of hope in the pit of my stomach.

The second Jesy removed her mouth from the woman, round two of chest compressions began. This time I pressed her chest further down as I did the compressions way faster, thinking "the faster, the better".

As I worked on the woman in need, I kept imagining Perrie, that it was her I was trying to save. Just the thought of my girl made this seem so much more important, as if Perrie's life was on the line. I had to save this woman.

"Aaaand, that's thirty, my turn."

Like before, Jesy placed her mouth against the woman's and blew air into her mouth. As her oxygen entered the woman's system, I could see how her pale face started to regain its beige skin tone as her blue lips slowly went back to its normal red/pinkish colour.

Right when Jesy was about to blow the second breath, the woman suddenly started to cough. Water escaped her lips as she kept coughing intensely.

"She's coming to!" I exclaimed happily.

"Yeah, let's lay her on the side so she won't choke on the water" Jesy said calmly.

Before I had the chance to answer my partner, she had rolled over the now coughing woman on her side, so her back faced me.

Once our boat arrived at shore, we handed over all six injured people to the paramedics, who put them on a stretcher each and then drove off to the hospital with wailing sirens.