Chapter 15

*Three days later*

Perrie
Who knew I'd sit in my office this sunny Thursday afternoon, smiling from ear to ear- considering all that's happened- as I graded my students's homework? Four days ago, I wasn't able to smile nor feel anything but sadness. Fortunately, that had changed now.

Jade was finally getting better. Doctor Tilley removed her from the ICU on Tuesday and gave her a "normal" room, where she could continue her recovery. She didn't need the nasal oxygen catheter anymore, she could breathe perfectly fine on her own. And she could walk and run like a healthy person in her age should be able to do. So it was no wonder why I was so happy today.

The only thing taking away some of the happiness, though, was that Olivia hadn't shown her face since Zac and his partner Dwayne came to tell her about her sister's death. I understood why she decided not to come, losing a loved one is extremely heartbreaking and it takes time to process and accept the fact that the person you love is gone. Still, I hoped she would come back soon. I didn't want her to deal with the loss and heartache alone.

I was reading through Jacob Allen's critical analysis of Suzanne Collins's book The Hunger Games: Catching Fire when my phone began buzzing like an angry bee. Curious about who it might be, I put his well-written essay aside and picked up my phone from the tabletop in mahogany.

Seeing Leigh-Anne's contact name flash across the screen, I immediately clicked on the blue message icon, eager to find out what she wanted. Hopefully she had news about Jade, or just wanted to grab something to eat, which my stomach would appreciate since it'd been almost over three hours since the last time food entered my system.

My Nacho Queen💗: Need your help, Pezmania. Meet me by my car at the car park ASAP!!!

Me: I'll be out in five, darling.

I collected the essays I hadn't graded yet from my desk. Not really having the time to pack them down carefully, I just stuffed them in my bag. As soon as I had what I needed to be able to work from home, I left my office.

A group of jocks wolf-whistled when I walked them by. My cheeks took on a crimson colour. I clenched my jaw. My heart rate skyrocketed, went from a normal 60-100 bpm to over 100 bpm. The vital organ in my chest pounded abnormally fast. Wolf-whistling was disrespectful and one of the many things I hated more than I hated cheese.

Those idiots were lucky Jade didn't hear or see them, because she would've whopped their asses without a second thought. She never took bullshit from anyone nor accepted it when someone behaved disrespectfully.

Now Jade might look like something straight out of a dream, but she wasn't the one you'd pick a fight with. The saying "appearances can be deceiving" fit her well in that way that even though she looked like a soft little muffin, she was the one in control, what hid under her princess-like face was years and years of life-changing events that had made her to who she was today. She would be the one to make a dangerous situation less dangerous by maneuvering the "bad guys" with her police skills. You never knew what her next move would be. People couldn't see past her good looks. But Jade was a badass. Both on and off duty.

The anger drained out of me like blood from an open wound when a cool breeze kissed my pale face. My heart rate decreased significantly as I drew in a breath of fresh mid-spring air. Every inch of my body relaxed. Weird how a little fresh air could have such positive effects.

"Alright, time to find Leigh-Leigh" I said calmly to myself.

My gaze wandered over the almost empty car park, searching for Leigh-Anne's car. All I saw, though, was cars belonging to the other teachers. Nothing out here indicated that Leigh was here, waiting for me to come help her with whatever she needed help with.