Chapter 12

Perrie
"Jesy, you need to do something. We can't just sit here and wait for her to start breathing by herself. Her chance of survival decreases with every passing minute, we need to get oxygen to her brain. Jesy, please, are you listening? You need to save her, don't let her die on me. Save her now, Jesy, come on, save her now. What are you waiting for? Bring her back to me, please, Jesy, bring her back to me" I pleaded, absolutely heartbroken over the current situation.

"I'll do everything I can, Pez, but you need to calm down. I can't focus if you're gonna be this hysterical" Jesy said calmly.

"There's no time for talking! Just do what you have to do! Time is running out!" I shouted distraughtly.

Something similar to fear flashed in her brown/greenish eyes. She looked like she didn't recognize me.

Usually I would apologize for raising my voice, but there was no time whatsoever for that now. Not when my girlfriend got closer to death the more time that passed without her getting oxygen to her brain.

Without saying a word, the gorgeous ginger-haired woman began to perform CPR. She pushed Jade's chest down thirty times, then she tilted Jade's head back carefully and blew air into her mouth.

Jesy repeated the lifesaving process several times, unfortunately with no luck. Jade didn't respond to the help she was given, didn't cough up the water in her lungs.

She just kept lying still, soaking wet, with no signs of life. Her skin had become bluer, meaning her body temperature had sunk even more since Jesy rescued her.

I kept holding her hand, didn't want to let go. Leigh-Anne held an arm around me, wiped the tears from my face with her thumb every now and then.

"Come on, Jade! Breathe!"

Jesy began round four of chest compressions. Sweat was running down her face as she used every ounce of energy in her body, trying to save her best friend.

She was just about to blow air into Jade's mouth for the fourth time when the sound of wailing sirens filled the entire block.

"The ambulance is here!" Leigh-Anne exclaimed, relief evident in her voice.

Within a minute, two paramedics had made their way to the scene of accident. Reluctantly Leigh-Anne and I moved from where we sat to give them space while Jesy stayed where she was, performing CPR as if her life depended on it.

"Miss, we're taking over now" the bald male paramedic said softly.

"No!" Jesy yelled, upset.

"You've done what you can, it's time for us to take over" the brown-haired male paramedic said.

"I can't! If I stop now, she'll die!"

Tears were now streaming down her face. Looking at her felt like being stabbed in the heart and have the knife being twisted around.

Jesy's pain and sorrow for the girl who could be described as a real life Disney Princess was so clear for everyone to see.

The way she kept giving chest compressions even though they didn't make much of a difference, the way she held onto Jade, refusing to give up...it all spoke for itself.

And it was emotionally wearing to see how she could go from being calm to completely heartbroken in a matter of minutes.

Because to me, it seemed like she had lost hope. And losing hope was the worst thing you could do when you were trying to save someone's life.

"I'll go get her" Leigh-Anne said, her voice cracking at the end.

She left my side. Standing behind Jesy, she wrapped her arms around Jesy's body, trying to get her away from Jade so the paramedics could do their job.