Chapter 16 (Part 2)

WARNING:
THIS CHAPTER HAS CONTENT OF VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN, SELF-HARM AND DEATH

Jade
Leaving my gun with Jesy was a mistake.

Listening to his empty threats was stupid. I should've known better.

Pezza won't forgive me if she finds out I died because I couldn't protect myself.

Why do I always have to make bad decisions?

"Because I'm stupid, that's why" I muttered.

The entire jewelry store drowned in darkness. Due to the lack of light, I saw nothing. My eyes didn't adjust to the dark, unfortunately. A pair of night-vision glasses would come in handy now. So would a flashlight. And a hand to hold. I was terrified. More terrified than I wanted to admit. Anything could happen tonight. Me not knowing where in the store the armed robber and his ex-wife that he held hostage were, was much to my disadvantage. He could be walking a few steps behind me or hide in a corner, waiting for me, I wouldn't know. And not knowing scared me. It scared me a lot.

I kept my arms in front of me as I walked. The floor creaked for every step I took, each creak scarier than the one before. Goosebumps appeared on my tanned skin, causing me to shiver from the bad vibes this horror movie-like atmosphere gave me.

Muffled voices echoed further down the airy jewelry store. Following the voices of an angry man and a terrified woman, my heart began beating like crazy, as if I had drunk one too

many Redbulls. I held onto my baton for dear life, ready to beat the living daylights out of

the robber. The closer I got to the muffled voices, the tighter the grip of the weapon became.

"Hey, Pickle, are you there?"

Not expecting my older partner and best friend would contact me through my walkie-talkie, I let out a horrified squeal. The sudden, unexpected, contact from the outside increased my heart rate to the point where I could hear every beat of my now overactive heart.

I grabbed the walkie-talkie from the belt that kept my uniform pants from sliding down. I ran a hand through my hair in order to win some time to calm down, then I whispered into

the device.

"Goddammit Jesy, you scared me."

"Sorry not sorry. Have you found them yet?"

"No, it's as dark as Voldemort's non-existent soul here. He has turned off all the lights. I can't see a thing!"

"Cats have great night-vision, did you know that?"

"Do I look like a cat to you?"

"Pez once told me you're like a panther when you two get do-"

"Jesy!"

"My point is, babe, that panthers are felines, which means you should have night-vision."

"Can you please explain to me how this conversation can help me find a robber and the woman he holds hostage? Because nothing you say make any sense nor is it relevant to the situation."

"It doesn't help you at all, to be honest. Just thought I'd let you know I know you turn into a panther when you're alone with wifey."

"Oh my God, Jess, this is not the time!"

"Sorry. I'm nervous, don't want you to die."

"I'm nervous too. Have you guys maybe seen anything from the outside? A light from one of the windows or so?"