Chapter 11

*A few minutes before the incident*

Perrie
My pulse was sky-high. Watching my girlfriend stand approximately an arm-length from the man who had fired multiple gun shots and revealed he was working for the serial killer Sam Duchannes, was absolutely terrifying.

Jesy held her arms tightly wrapped around my body, obviously with the intention to keep me from running to Jade.

I didn't try to break free, I knew it was a waste of time to try. You couldn't fight a cop. Jade had proved that to me several times.

Suddenly, as the gunman took a step closer to Jade, he pulled out something that looked a lot like a gun from the back of his jeans and pressed it to her chest.

"No, no, no, he's gonna hurt her" I said, on the verge of tears.

And then, like a bolt out of the blue, Jade started to convulse violently. Her body shook as if she had touched an electric fence with high voltage.

After what felt like hours, the gunman removed the gun from her chest and ran away. Me, Jesy and Leigh-Anne watched in complete shock as Jade fell over the chain fence and into the cold water.

"JADE!" I screamed distraughtly.

I broke free from Jesy's vice-like grip. Countless tears streamed down my face as I ran towards the water.

My heart was aching terribly. The anxiety and fear I experienced clouded my mind to the point where I couldn't think clearly.

Losing my mind, my sanity, now was definitely not something I wanted to happen. Because Jade needed me. She needed me more than ever.

As soon as I got to the place where Jade had fallen over, I desperately began to search for her body in the water.

But I couldn't find it. I couldn't see anything. And that my vision was blurry because of all the tears I cried, didn't make the situation any better.

"I'm jumping in!"

Jesy stepped over the chains and jumped into the water without hesitation. Once she was in, she disappeared under the surface.

Leigh-Anne and I tried to find the silhouette of her body, if we found it we could track her, which would be much to our advantage if she ran out of air and passed out.

Come on, Jess, you got this. Jade's life is in your hands.

We waited for our friend to show up, kept our eyes at the surface like we were two hawks. The longer time passed without any sign of life from the two women, the more impatient we became.

It was frustrating to be a bystander. It was frustrating that I didn't jump in the water in the first place. And it was frustrating knowing there was nothing I could do to help rescuing my girlfriend.

"If she doesn't show up soon, I will jump in" I said determinedly.

"She will show up, Pez, just wait" Leigh-Anne said, confidence lacing her voice.

And as if Leigh's words magically had given Jesy some kind of super speed, I spotted a blurred reflection of her under the water.

In the next second, she broke through the surface. She gasped for air as she fought to keep her head above the water.

"Call an ambulance! I got her! I got Jade!" Jesy yelled as soon as she had caught her breath.

A wave of relief washed over me when I saw she had Jade in her arms. Leigh-Anne grabbed the lifebuoy that was attached to the fence and threw it in the water.

Jesy placed Jade on it. Leigh-Anne reeled the lifebuoy in as Jesy swam close behind it to make sure Jade wouldn't fall off.

Once the two young women were back on land, Jesy carefully laid Jade down on the ground. Leigh grabbed her phone from the back pocket of her white ripped jeans. She dialed the emergency number, breathing heavily as she did so. The moment the operator answered, the raven-haired woman explained the situation as calmly as she possibly could while Jesy attempted to help Jade. 

"Jadey, can you hear me?" Jesy asked as she slapped Jade across her face.

When she didn't receive a response nor a reaction from the slap, she put her ear above Jade's nose and listened for breathing while she kept an eye on her chest. A bad feeling spread like a virus throughout my body when I saw her chest didn't move up and down.

Everyone who listened and participated in the first aid course your PE teacher forced you to take in high school knew it was bad if someone's chest was completely still. Because it meant that person didn't breathe. And when someone didn't breathe, it was essential to commence CPR, or else that person would die.

And as for Jade, my person, was in the need of medical help. Her lips had changed from its natural pink colour to blue. Her skin was pale and when you touched her, you froze for a minute.

"Baby, please, wake up..." I pleaded, my voice cracked at the end of the sentence.

I grabbed Jade's lifeless hand, held it as tight as I could. Maybe it would help to transfer some of my body heat to her.

When Jesy looked back up at me and Leigh-Anne, her eyes were full of tears. The view hurt my heart.

And worried me, because Jesy rarely cried, but when she did, you knew that something was terribly wrong.

"Jade's not breathing" she said, her voice barely audible.

____________________________________________________________
This chapter is short as hell but it's just because I promised you I'd update today. Next chapter will be much longer, though :)