Chapter 17

Jade
Jesy and I were on our way back to the station. We'd just left Royal Brompton Hospital, where Danielle was transported for medical attention and where Madison Miller and Stephanie O'Connor's (the latest murder victim) bodies were kept.

Our CSI, Rachel, had found connections to both girls. What differed the two, however, was that Madison was shot and Stephanie was drowned in the pond a teenage boy on his way to school found her. What linked them to each other, this was actually a little frightening, was that they both were engraved with the All-Seeing Eye on their backs. That symbol linked straight to Sam Duchannes, the serial killer I arrested two years ago.

All Jesy and I had to do now was question everyone with a connection to the girls. If it turns out neither of the people we're questioning are guilty for the murders, we can exclude them completely and focus on Sam and the guy who claimed he worked for him. Considering the All-Seeing Eye stood for Sam, I was confident we really didn't have to involve friends and family to Madison and Stephanie in the investigations, but it was part of the protocol and had to be done, or else there was a risk we'd miss out on important details.

"Have you heard anything from wifey?" Jesy asked curiously.

"She has sent me ten text messages" I said.

"Oh wow. She must be worried about you. Why don't you reply?" She asked calmly.

"I'm scared" I said sincerely.

"Of what? That she's telling you how she doesn't love you anymore and wants to see other people? Come on, Jadey, don't be such a baby" she said.

"What if she has broken up with me? Over text? It'd be totally understandable, I left her all alone in the middle of the night, but still. I can't live without her" I said, genuinely scared of what those texts said.

"Oh my God, you are more dramatic than Leigh-Anne" she said.

"Am not" I argued.

"You are" she chuckled.

"You're so annoying, I hope you know that."

"Believe me, I do. Leigh tells me that all the time."

I rolled my eyes at the ginger-haired beauty next to me. Sometimes she could be a real pain in the bum, like now. As if she would be excited to open over ten text messages from her significant other, knowing she had received them because she had made a poor decision. Like leaving in the middle of the night, not letting your partner know.

Anxious about what my lovely girlfriend possibly could've sent me, I locked up my phone and opened our conversation. The first text caused a lump to form in my throat.

Wifey😍: Jade Amelia Badwi Thirlwall!

Wifey😍: I woke up at 4 AM and you weren't lying next to me, I had a freaking heart attack!

Wifey😍: Why'd you go to work when you're supposed to stay home and rest?

Wifey😍: You can forget everything about showering together and sharing a bed. I'm really mad at you right now!

As if she would last a day without touching my body under hot water, nor would she survive a night alone. Our bed's made for two. Plus, she always had nightmares when I didn't lie next to her, holding her close and playing with her hair. Why would that change now? If she really wanted to frighten me, she should've threatened with something else.

Wifey😍: Please, tell me you're not the officer who went in all alone in a jewelry store under armed robbery to deal with a psychopath.