⤿ part twenty: how they realized

Zayn Malik

"I told Harry that I was gay," Zayn explained to Liam, unable to contain his happiness.

"Right after Jesy called you, in your words, quite seductively," Liam chuckled.

Niall trailed through Zayn's open bedroom door to see Zayn on his bed, and Liam sat at Zayn's desk.

"Why wasn't I invited?" Niall asked, annoyed.

"We were just talking about how Zayn came out to Harry," Liam said, a smile upon his lips.

"And how Jesy called Zayn, quite seductively," Niall smirked.

"It's not like I was seduced by her to begin with!" Zayn frowned. "You've got two fully gay friends now,"

"What do you mean by fully?" Niall shot Zayn a confused look, and leaned against the door. "Did I have a gay friend and a half or some shit?"

"Fully as in, I have officially, officially confirmed that I'm gay," Zayn sat up a bit straighter and smiled proudly. "I like Harry,"

"And boys in general," Niall added.

"Thanks for confirming that," Liam said flatly. "Like we didn't already know,"

"So what's the next step?" Niall asked, ignoring Liam.

"The next step?" Zayn furrowed his brows. "There's a next step?"

Niall cleared his throat, then channelled his inner inspirational speaker. "First comes confusion.. Then you hit the path of denial, next comes thought.. I don't know I just added that in.. And finally comes acceptance.." Niall's voice went back to normal. "Then there's more shit like who you tell, when you tell, what you tell people.."

"Who you tell his key," Liam nodded. "You told us.. And Louis.. And-"

"Oh shit," Niall stopped Liam. "Fuck,"

"What happened?" Zayn questioned the two boys, utterly confused.

It took Liam a second but when it hit him, his expression turned from calm and collected to something Zayn couldn't read.

"Fuck Zayn," Liam shot up quickly. "You told Jesy too,"

"I know," Zayn said. "What's wrong with that?"

Liam and Niall looked at each other, then back at Zayn who was now sat up on his bed.

"What do you mean what's wrong with that?!" Niall piped up.

"She's going to spread that shit around second year," Liam frowned.

They were barely through second year, seeing it was only the end of January.

"She was shit-faced drunk," Zayn laughed. "You think she remembered anything?"

"You know that girl," Niall shook his head. "She'll remember what she wants to remember and forget what she wants to forget. She told everyone she fucked you, and then as soon as Jade asked, she said she didn't remember shit from that night,"

"You know her," Liam said.

Zayn sat there for a moment, and then laid back down on his bed. "She still talks to my sister," He said, his eyes on the ceiling. "They went to high school together.. They were friends,"

"Zayn," Liam bit his lip. "Have you told your family yet?"

This made Zayn pipe up as it all hit him at once. "No I fucking haven't! You think I fucking told my religious family that their son is a goddamn abomination?!" He was off of his bed now, and grabbing his coat and shoes which were at the door of his room where Niall and Liam stood, blank.