Chapter 23: Searching

Jess's POV.

The tunnel was long and narrow, the few torches along the side illuminating it only slightly. It went off in two directions.

"Which way should we go?" I asked.

"Hmmm........." Jazz bent down and looked at the ground. "The ground seems to be more indented here, I think they went this way." She pointed to one side.

We didn't see any other options, so we followed the tunnel. As we walked, a sudden thought occurred to me.

"Griffin?" I asked. "When we were stuck earlier, how come you didn't you your powers?"

"They don't work here," she explained. "The places where the mythical creatures are, other magic doesn't work as well. Even Herobrine, I bet, would have some difficulty with using magic. Magic items work though, so my amulet would still be able to summon, and such. If Herobrine destroyed the village, they he probably had an abundance of magical weapons."

After a bit of walking, it split off into another two paths.

"Which way now?" I wondered. "I don't think–" I was abruptly cut off by something that sounded like talking. "Wait... there sounds like talking from that side!" I pointed to the left.

We ran into the left tunnel, which opened up into a cave with an opening back onto the mainland. Five people were gathered in a circle, huddled together.

"Um...excuse me?" I called out. They turned around sharply.

"Electra?" Griffin called out.

"Griffin? What are you doing here?" one of them, I assumed Electra, asked.

"Could ask you the same thing," she replied. She had fiery red hair with yellow highlights at the tips. She wore a simple robe with designs of flames and fire, that almost seemed to glow in the light. She wore simple sandals on her feet.

Now that I got a closer look, I realized two of the five people were actually kids, and seemed to be a brother and sister. Another two people were holding them, a man and woman, and I assumed they were the kids' parents.

"Did you find the village−or rather, the remains of it?" she questioned. We nodded. "Well, you can guess then what happened. Herobrine attacked."

I was horrified. What had been happening in all those worlds after we came back? And how did we not know?

"Almost everybody died, trapped in the falling houses. Benjamin here− (don't question the name I asked a random friend for a name suggestion)" she gestured towards the man, who waved, "wrote a small note and stored it in a chest if someone come over."

"We found it!" I said, pulling out the book.

Electra nodded. "Anyways, we went along the tunnels for a while, until we stopped here to rest. Then you guys found us," she concluded. "So, what brings you here anyways?"

"We wanted to know if you knew where the phoenix is," Griffin explained.

"The Phoenix? Like, the Phoenix?" Electra repeated, eyes wide. "I thought after the deat−"

"Please don't," Griffin muttered. "But do you know?"

"Well, yeah, almost everyone here does," Electra said. "We can show you."

The way Griffin cut Electra off surprised me, as if she didn't want us to know. But I shook it off for now, after all, we did need to get to the Phoenix, and I had a feeling if they wanted us to know something, then they would tell us.

"What about the others?" Lukas asked.

"We'll be okay," Benjamin spoke up. "Electra, go show them, we'll stay here and see if we can construct a temporary shelter here. I don't think Herobrine will come back anytime soon."

"Well..." she hesitated, "Alright then."

She gestured for us to follow her. "Let's go."

Jesse's POV.

Our shadows loomed behind us, the light casting an eerie glow. "This is kinda creepy," Axel said from next to us.

"Agreed."

We walked in silence for a while, and I was beginning to wonder how long the tunnel was, when the temperature suddenly dropped from warm to freezing. We all shivered. Kitsune pulled her wings tighter to their body, although it didn't seem to do much.

"Brrr......" I exhaled a breath of mist through my mouth. "Why is it so cold?!"

I glanced at the tunnel, and noticed it wasn't red anymore, the rock was now tinged with blue, and the light was now a bright blue instead of red.

"C-can we make a fire or something?" Olivia suggested, her teeth chattering.

"I could try to breathe out some fire," Ruby said doubtfully, glancing upward. "The tunnel should be big enough to transform." She started to morph, her face elongating into a snout, her arms and legs becoming claws, and a tail and wings growing out from behind. Now she looked like the dragon we saw before.

She opened her mouth, and exhaled fire–or what assumed was supposed to be fire, but instead, it came out as steam. She tried again, with the same result. Then she changed back.

"Never mind."

"G-great, so we're walking through a ice cold tunnel, have no idea where we're going to end up, a-and probably are at high risk of getting hypothermia," Olivia muttered.

"E-ever the optimist," Petra joked, although she looked cold as well.

"Y-you didn't think to bring jackets?" I asked Kitsune.

"W-well, I've never actually been in this area before, the islands are pretty warm!" she said defensively.

Just as Olivia opened her mouth to retort, the tunnel started getting warmer again. And this time, it opened into another large cavern.

"I swear, if this is a maze..." I muttered.

Thankfully, there was only one other tunnel besides the one we came in from. I noticed a design engraved on the stone floor as well. A beautiful dragon design was carved in the middle of a circle, its wings open and its head held up tall and proud. I pointed it out to the others.

"We must be on the right track!" I exclaimed.

We hurried down the tunnel.

I'll be doing the OC and SA update next chapter, I guess. These two were longer than I intended them to be, so OCs will be first next.  Does anybody watch GlitchTale by Camila Cuevas on Youtube?  Ep. 4 Pt. 1 was just out today, and I watched it.  WHY DOES SHE ALWAYS LEAVE OFF LIKE THAT AND KILL OUR SOULS!!!!!!   And now another, oh, probably a month or so until the next part.   OAIERHUFIAEURHFAIUREHFAOLRUFAPRUJHFAIOLEUHFG AIEUREFEFAUERBIAUERBGAIERUGBAEIRUGBAIERUHGIAEURHGAIEURGHIAEURGHIAEURH
Like, don't get me wrong, it's AWESOME.  But whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
Anyways, there might not be a chapter next week, because of two school field trips coming up.  I didn't have school yesterday and today, so I'll try to get some of it done.  The day after tomorrow, I have to get to school BY 5:50.  Which means I have to get up at like 5:30 (luckily I live close to school).  I can BARELY get up at 7:00 for a regular school day, so this is NOT gonna end well.  sighs.  WHY IS LIFE SO CRUEL!!
Geez this was like the longest A/N I've ever typed
~Griffinᾦ