Chapter 38: Battle Game

Third Person POV.

As Jesse shouted fight, Lukas and Olivia both pulled back arrows nocked in their bow. Axel pulled out some primed TNT, which Olivia had invented so it could just be placed or thrown, and would automatically ignite. Griffin and Kitsune had their weapons out, waiting for the attack.

The other team had their weapons out. Jesse, Petra, Steve, Alex, and Celestia had their weapons out, poised to attack.

In a flash, they attacked, and Lukas and Olivia let their arrows fly. Steve and Alex blocked both, but were blown back from Axel's TNT, which, surprisingly, did not blast a hole in the ground. It must've been enchanted. Axel realized. Good. Petra and Jesse both leapt at Griffin and Kitsune, and they clashed weapons. Celestia ran for Jess with her longsword, and who met her attack with her own. As they both skidded back from impact, Jess sent a wall of fire, but Celestia quenched it with her own wave of water.

Shoot, she has water powers, Jess thought, as another wave of water nearly drenched her.

Luckily, Kitsune leapt towards Celestia, catching her off guard as the she whirled around, meeting the strike. Wait, if Kitsune's there, where's Jesse? Jess felt a presence behind her, and turned around just in time to avoid Jesse, who had snuck up behind her.

As they collided, Jess suddenly realized she was inflicted with blindness, and looked around frantically for her brother. As soon as she heard movement, she sent out a wave of fire in ring around her, and the sounds of an "Ouch, hurts!" and water washing over someone confirmed she definitely hit him. The blindness had worn off by then, and she could she what was going on.

Petra and Griffin were engaged in combat, exchanging a flurry of blows back and forth. Having learned from before, Petra would feint a few strikes before actually going in, and pulled back before Griffin's whip could hook around it again.

Steve and Alex fought against Lukas, Olivia, and Axel. While Lukas and Olivia were using bows, Alex's fire did nothing except turn the regular arrows into flaming ones, which became much more dangerous. Steve was knocking back each of Axel's TNT, using a shockwave against the TNT to stop it midair and let it drop to the ground and explode. The ground must've been enchanted so it wouldn't break, because there were no holes in it, despite the many explosions.

After Kitsune had leapt on Celestia, they engaged in a melee battle. Kitsune's claws were extended much longer, about a foot and a half long, and they parried each other's blows, Kitsune sometimes shadow-traveling behind her, and Celestia using water to slow her down.

Jess and Jesse fought back and forth, sparks flying. Jess's sword ignited, and and jabbed and parried, trying to catch the other off guard. At some point, Jess realized that there was a dragon avatar around Jesse, a faint black translucent shape. When she looked around, she could see the light red shape of a phoenix around her. Wait, does that mean I can fly? As Jesse swung at her again, she leapt backwards, feeling something unfurl behind her, launching her in the air. Jesse looked up in surprise, before leaping up after her, his own dragon wings supporting him. They started fighting in the air.

Axel, Olivia, and Lukas were starting to lose their ground against Steve and Alex. A wall of fire from Alex reached them this time, and they only managed to shoot their arrows before being hit directly. Luckily, Axel had Steve distracted with the TNT, and both of the flaming arrows hit their mark, dropping Steve's health to seven hearts. Lukas and Olivia's health, however, had dropped substantially. Not enough to declare them out, but they were probably at five hearts now. Alex, seeing her chance, lashed out with her sword, forcing Lukas to switch his weapon to a sword and parry. Although he was a decent fighter, Alex had years of experience, and knocked Lukas sideways with ease, disarming him and dropping his hearts down to three, declaring him out. She turned around, switching her attention to Olivia, who had managed to hit her twice while she battled Lukas.

Axel and Steve were somewhat standing at an impasse. While Steve could probably beat Axel in a close-up fight, with all the TNT flying around him, it was impossible to get close. Not to mention Axel had lots of practice avoiding and using TNT effectively, after living in Boomtown for a while. He probably still had at least a few stacks left. The TNT was going to fast to make an effective teleport.

Alex was winning against Olivia. Since Olivia usually used a bow and redstone, she had to constantly retreat and back up to make an effective shot. Alex's sword nicked her arm, setting her on fire briefly, but enough to slowly lower her health to three hearts. Looking quickly at Axel and Steve and noticing that Steve's health had depleted from TNT onslaught, she fired one more arrow, taking out Steve as her health dropped to three hearts. Both of them walked over to the sidelines.

Alex lunged for Axel again (omg those names are so similar), while he was distracted, but Axel pulled back, towards the other fighting pairs, and the attack missed.

He landed back to back with Griffin and Kitsune, the three of them against Petra, Celestia, and Alex. They circled them warily. Axel, figuring he stood a better chance against Petra than any of the others–after all, she was a close-combat fighter–and TNT could be used for both ranged and close fighting.

She accepted the challenge, dodging the first piece of TNT and swerving around to try and intercept him.

Griffin and Kitsune fought back to back against Alex and Celestia. As Alex and Celestia closed in, Griffin threw her whip around Alex's arm, temporarily disabling her, as she swung around. Kitsune shadow-traveled from her shadow into Celestia's which was behind her, and they switched positions.

Jess and Jesse continued fighting overhead, but both were getting tired, and their hearts had both dropped to six. Jesse dropped to the ground, worn out, and watched Jess dive down at him, to twist out of the way last minute. Jess, surprised, only barely managed to swoop up slightly to avoid a crash landing. She landed unsteadily on her feet, holding up her sword just in time to parry off Jesse, who lunged at her with his sword.

I realized this was getting kind of long (for a chapter I usually write), so I'm splitting this fight into two parts. Hope you enjoyed this first part of the spar!
~Griff Out!ᾦ