Chapter 30: The Phoenix

Jess's POV.

"Do we really have to climb these?" I muttered as we looked all the way up to a pillar.

"No, actually. There are teleportation pads in each pillar, and they all lead up eventually. Luckily, I do remember which ones lead up the fastest, so follow me," she started towards a pillar, which I now noticed had a small opening at the bottom.

*****Timeskip****************************************************

Eventually, we reached the castle. Actually, as we neared it, I realized it was more of a temple, with four spires made of some sort of glowing red-orange blocks at the corners, and the walls made of lava itself, somehow keeping its shape. We all stepped forward, but Alex held a hand out.

"It won't let all of us through," she explained. "Only the one receiving the power."

"What about you?" Lukas asked.

"I actually don't know. I'll try, but, well, we've never really had this situation," Alex shrugged.

"Well, I guess we'll wait outside," Petra #2 said.

I pushed open the giant door, and a wall of flames bursts out, parting around Alex and I, and stopping just before it hit the others.

"I guess that's our warning," Griffin said, edging away from the flames.

Alex and I walked in, our footsteps echoing against the floor. "So, I suppose it does let you in then, right?" I said, looking over at Alex...to realize she disappeared. "Alex?" I glanced around quickly, before turning my head in front, and there the Phoenix stood, wings folded neatly against its sides, perched on a throne of flames. A crown of flames sat on its head, and flames rose from the red-orange and golden feathers, which seemed to morph together like lava. Dark red eyes stared at me from where I stood. Next to her, Alex was encaged in a net, made a thin fibers that twisted together. Smoke rose from within, almost creating a wall in between the open spaces. She yelled something, but nothing came out. She tried again, nothing.

What is your name?" I heard, not out loud, but in my head.

"...Jesse," I spoke out loud. Wait, was I supposed to respond in my head? Did it matter? What if I needed to say something specific? I didn't realize my face had been showing my worry, until Alex mouthed, Calm down.

My name is...Hestia, it, well, she said. Why are you here?

"Well, uhh...Herobrine is back, and we need your help to defeat him," I said, trying to keep my voice straight.

Then prove yourself worthy of my help, she declared.

"What...what do you want me to do?" I questioned, a knot forming in my stomach.

She stood up fully, towering above me by quite a bit, and opening her flaming wings, which illuminated the entire area, if it had even been dim before. She flapped them once, twice, taking to the air, which I now realized the room had a tall ceiling.

Suddenly, the area started to morph, until I saw the group of people: Alex, Lukas, Petra #2, and Griffin. Jazz wasn't there, I noted with a pang of sadness and anger. I looked around, realizing that Hestia had disappeared. Suddenly, they turned towards me, and I was shocked at their eyes, which were dull.

"Guys, what are you–" I was cut off immediately as Petra #2 lunged at me, enchanted iron sword drawn. "What are you doing?!" I yelled, barely managing to evade. Alex lashed out at me next, nearly cutting off my arm as I twisted sideways, just avoiding Griffin's whip as she swung at me. An arrow hit my leg, though, and I choked back a cry of pain as Lukas nocked another one. "Why are you doing this?!" I cried out, as the whip struck me in the side, knocking me back a few feet. That thing was sharp! I hadn't noticed it before, but each chain link was serrated, and although it has only brushed my side, there was a stinging pain where it connected. I glanced down, noticing a dark red liquid trickling down my leg. Petra #2 swung out again, this time, I tried to defend myself, and I suddenly noticed that my sword had turned from enchanted diamond to a glowing white blade, the hilt made of red and gold flame patterns which morphed together in the shape of a phoenix near the top to form the guard. It collided against Petra #2's, sparks flying off both blades.

"But– I can't hurt you!" I shouted. These were my friends: I couldn't just attack them, even if they attacked me first.

These are not your friends, I heard, not the Phoenix telling me, but my own inner voice. Your friends wouldn't attack you. They wouldn't try to hurt you. They are illusions, mirage. They ARE NOT real.

"You're right," I breathed heavily. "They aren't my friends."

Taking a deep breath, I readied my blade, and lunged. As soon as the sword hit Petra #2, she dissolved into nothing. Just an illusion, I reminded myself, as Griffin and Alex both attacked. Griffin's whip wrapped around my sword, nearly taking my hand off with it as she jerked back, but the sword glowed white hot, burning off the part constraining it, and returning to my hand. Alex thrust forward, her own flaming sword in her hand, and I twisted sideways, just as Griffin launched herself at me, leading both of them to hit each other, each dissolving back into nothingness.

I turned back to Lukas, as an arrow whizzed past my ear. It hurt me to have to hurt him, but I knew this was a test. I rushed forwards, dodging another arrow. A bow and arrows were for ranged-combat, not close. However, as I reached him, he pulled out his iron sword, switching to melee. "Oh yeah, I forgot," I muttered to myself, as his swing nearly cut my ear off. I rolled to the side, and thrust my sword towards his middle. "I'm sorry," I murmured as he faded away.

Suddenly, the landscape started to change once more, until I was back in the throne room, with the Phoenix standing in front of me. As I watched, it started to shrink, until it formed into a ball of light, entering into me. A phoenix pendant formed on my neck. The net Alex was trapped in opened, dropping her to the ground. She smiled at me.

"Well done."

Next chapter will be the Dragon, from Jesse's POV.  This chapter took me longer, partially cuz I was kinda distracted my RWBY Volume 5 Episode 1........BUT OMG IT WAS RLY GOOD AND SO MANY CLIFFYSSSS  AHHHHHH
~Griff Out!ᾦ