Chapter 25: One Step Forward, One Step Back

Whew!  Nearly forgot to post this (ironically it was the fact that I had writing class today that I remembered.  It is SO hard getting back into schedule).  Anyways, here's the next chapter!

Jess's POV.

While we were walking, I suddenly felt a sharp sting on my feet and flinched. Besides Electra, everybody else did too, and I saw us all flash red for a minute.

"Oh shoot, the fire resistance wore off," Griffin muttered. "And I don't have another one because I thought one was enough."

We stopped at a patch of glowstone. "So now what?" I asked.

"Well I'm immune to the fire, so I don't know about you guys," Electra said.

"Could we maybe build over it?" Lukas suggested.

"What do we even have?" Petra #2 asked. "I don't know about you guys, but I didn't come prepared for a building competition."

A quick check of our inventories weren't hopeful, either. Lukas had some wood, but that was too flammable, Jazz had some random dirt and cobblestone, and Griffin had only about half a stack of cobble.

"How deep do the magma blocks go for?" I asked Electra.

"Pretty deep," she replied, "Even I'm not too sure, but tunneling probably wouldn't work. I don't remember any of our tunnels being here either."

"Well, I don't think I want to, or can, in that matter, carry two of you while flying," Griffin said.

We ended up just running from glowstone path to glowstone patch, occasionally grabbing onto spikes, but it definitely slowed us down.

After about the tenth patch of glowstone, I noticed that my food bar had decreased quite a bit, and because of that, my health wasn't regenerating much either. Griffin was okay, she had been flying from patch to patch, but Jazz and Petra #2 were also losing hunger and health.

"Do you have any more food?" I asked Griffin. She rummaged through her inventory for a bit, then pulled out some bread and handed it to us.

"I think that's the last of it," she said. "I have some healing potions, but I don't want to use those if we can help it."

The three of us ate quickly, and soon, most of our health had returned, although now we were out of food.

"I don't think running is going to help now, is it?" I murmured. "With no food, we'd starve anyways, if we don't burn to death first."

"I don't think you need to," a familiar voice made us all jump and whirl around.

Herobrine.

OCs:

After the entrance closed, the tunnel was swathed in darkness, save for the light coming from River's lapis necklace.

"How long does this tunnel go for?" Rush asked, her voice echoing along the walls. Although the ceil was quite high, the walls were pretty narrow.

"Who knows, we've never actually gone in," River explained. "We just found out how to open the door awhile ago."

They walked in silence for a while, their footsteps echoing along the walls. Eventually, they stopped when a wall of thick, tangled, vines covered the path. Torches also were on the walls now, providing some lighting. A sign read: Here are ten vines tangled together. At least nine of them are connected to the ceiling of the cave to hold it together. If you cut one of those, the cave will collapse.

"So I'm guessing we have to cut the right vine?" Purple checked.

"Yeah, but something seems off..." Rush trailed off, thinking.