Chapter 40: Enchantments and Curses

Jess's POV.

We all landed in a heap in the Nether. I looked up to see the portal we had just come through close.

"Oh, good, we all landed in the same place," Steve stood up, brushing himself off. "I've had bad experiences with that thing dropping people off in different places."

"Well, I guess we're lucky then," River shrugged.

Rush sighed, throwing up her hands. "And now, I'm expecting something to kill us in three...two...one..."

We looked around warily. Nothing.

"Well then, I guess we're relatively safe?" I said.

"You guys are so gonna jinx us," Rush muttered.

"Look! There's the torch!" Petra pointed. Indeed, there it was, a torch sitting on a quartz block.

"Should we just, like, dig in then?" Lukas wondered.

"I guess." Griffin pulled out a few diamond pickaxes. "Some of you guys should dig in, while the others keep watch."

"Alright," Ashio, River, Mizuko, Rush, Olivia, and Lukas all grabbed a pickaxe, while the others and I kept a watch out for mobs or signs of Herobrine.

A few moments later, there was a quiet shout of "We're in!" I turned and headed to where they had been digging, and sure enough, there had been a tunnel leading down into something that seemed like a hallway.

"This looks pretty familiar..." Alex trailed off, looking around.

"Well, I mean, we were just imprisoned here a few days ago," Steve said dryly.

"Ha ha."

"Hey, what do you think is in there?" Petra #2 pointed at at iron door.

"Let's go see," Morgan walked over to the door, which was connected to a lever, and flipped it. It opened into a small room that looked like it was made for brewing potions.

"Hey, wait a minute, we were here before when we escaped this place!" Steve realized, looking around. "This was the brewing room, right?"

"Yeah!" Alex confirmed. "Then that means the enchanting room was right across from here!"

"Wait, shouldn't we loot this place first?" Axel questioned, and when Olivia gave him a look, continued, "Herobrine obviously has some good stuff stored here, and it might help if we need to fight."

"The last time you took a potion..." Jesse began, but I cut him off.

"Axel has a good point. I'm not saying we should loot everything, but it wouldn't hurt to just take one or two, right? Besides, Herobrine has a lot of potions," I added, starting to dig through a chest.

"Yay!" Axel ran over to the nearest chest, popping it open. Olivia followed him.

"Hey, what's this potion?" Purple held up a light yellow potion that almost seemed to be glowing. The label seemed to be torn off.

"It looks like a flying potion," Griffin said, peering at it curiously.

"A flying potion?" Mizuko questioned. "Like, a potion that can make you fly?"

"Yeah, they're pretty rare, though," Alex said.

"Well, I guess we should take some," Purple pocketed the potion, and pulled out a few more.

"Wow, why would Herobrine even need this many strong potions?" I wondered. One of the potions had been labeled Strength X, and another, Speed V.

"We asked the same thing when we first came here too," Steve said. "But there has to be a reason. Maybe for enhancing mob abilities?"

"Well, I'd rather not find out," my brother replied. He pulled out a darker gray potion that looked slightly like a invisibility potion, although it was clear it was not. "This is labeled...resistance potion?"

"Resistance? I thought you could only get that effect from eating enchanted golden apples," Ruby remarked.

"Well, apparently there's a potion for it now too," Ashio commented.

Jesse shrugged and stored it in his inventory. "Are we done grabbing stuff?"

"I think so," River said. "Let's go see the enchantment room."

"Coast is clear," Petra reported, and they walked out of the brewing room, into the enchantment room across from it.

They were met with an enchantment table, and chests storing enchantment supplies. Morgan opened a chest, and her face showed dismay at the contents. "This chest is completely full of enchantment books! It'll take ages to sort out!"

"Well, maybe that's the only chest.........?" River walked over to another chest, and her face fell. "Never mind."

"Well, assuming all these chests are filled with enchanting books, which don't stack, and each chest can hold fifty-four items, and there seems to be twenty chests in here, so in total..." Alex started calculating.

"And here she goes with the math again," Steve groaned.

"1,080 books," Alex announced.

Everyone groaned. "We don't have time to look through 1,080 books!" Jesse shouted.

"Are they sorted in any way?" Kitsune said hopefully.

"Let's see..." Griffin stuck her head in a chest, briefly skimming through some of the books, before checking another chest. "Luckily, I think so. Those last two chests I just checked both seem to specifically be for weapons. Sharpness, Smite, stuff like that."

"This one seems to be for tools," Celestia spoke up from another chest. I found a bunch of Efficiency books, and some Fortune.

Lukas sighed. "But that's only three chests cleared. What about the other seventeen left?"

"Well, we'd better get to checking, then," Petra #2 said, trying to sound cheerful and failing.

After a few moments, they had managed to single out a few chests where the enchantments could be located. Since the Binding enchantment could only be used for armor, they had located three different chests where it could be. The Vanishing enchantment had proved to be a bit harder, because it could be added to any item, but after a while of searching, they had managed to single out four chests that seemed to contain enchantments that could be added to any item.

I dug through a chest, flipping open a book to see the enchantment, and then closing it if it wasn't right. Open. Close. Open. Close. Open. Clo– Wait. "Found it!" I crowed triumphantly. "Or, one of them anyways. I found the Binding enchantment!"

Fun fact: This chapter was originally 999 words, and I was like: I need to add in one more!  So now this chapter is exactly 1000 words (not counting POV switch and A/N).  Hope you enjoyed the chapter!
~Griff Out!ᾦ