Living On The Edge Of A Broken Heart

Lauren's PoV

I adjusted my eyewear and pushed myself off the ski ramp seat. I inhaled the fresh mountain air and smiled. I was a mountain girl at heart and I knew I always would be.

"Laur!" I stopped halfway down the familiar slope and made my way to a group of old friends. My snowboard cut into the snow causing shavings to fly in their faces. "God, I hate it when you do that!" Came the soft voice. I shrugged and joined them in the circle. Ally stayed as close to me as possible and I inwardly groaned.

"So what's it like living with Austin?" Asked Vero, my best friend since grade five. She always had a crush on him but she wasn't his type. Too much like me.

"Dude, that's her cousin!" Alexa laughed. She was cool, we hung out in a group but ever since a drunken incident that involved us waking up naked together, we hadn't spent time alone again.

"How are the girls there?" Ally asked, chewing on her bottom lip. I lifted my eyewear so that they rested above my head and squinted at her as the sun was beating down on us. I almost felt bad for her. She was still so innocent.

"Yea Laur, you've only emailed me a few times since you moved and the last one said you were seeing some brunette." Alexa smirked, digging her ski poles into the snow.

"Camila." Vero allowed the name to roll off her tongue. "Are you still with her?"

"You're seeing someone, as in just one person?" Ally asked, a look of hurt crossing her features. She had managed to stay friends with Vero and Alexa after I had moved away. They were the only two that tried to tell everyone that I broke up with Ally, but my ex was determined to live in denial.

I nodded and swallowed, not really wanting to cause Ally pain. She had already been through so much with me cheating on her. Knowing that I fell in love would surely shatter her.

Her brown eyes sparkled in the sunlight and her blonde hair blew gently in the breeze. Yes, she was brown eyed and blonde. But she looked nothing like Camila. No, Camila was a Goddess that stepped out of the old ancient Greek mythology books. She was stunning, sexy, beautiful, gorgeous, cute, pretty, adorable, hot... yes, Camila was everything you'd dream of in a woman and she was mine. Ally paled in comparison.

"Tell us about her," Vero jumped giddily and wrapped an arm around my waist, careful not to lose her balance on her freshly waxed snowboard, "you've emailed me enough about her and we didn't get much time to talk last night about her, so... spill Jauregui."

"Yea, spill." Ally said between clenched teeth and gave me a death glare.

"Well," I sighed but couldn't help but smile, "she's a senior at Southwood High, she has one younger sister and one older brother. Um," I bent my knees a bit and instinctively braced myself by grabbing Ally's shoulder, which made her face light up and I closed my eyes, retracting my hand, "she plays hockey. Captain of our school team and she plays for the best team in Southern Ontario. She writes and plays music, favourite drink is Dr. Pepper, quite the partier-"

"Boring much?" Alexa laughed and pointed the sharp end of her ski pole at me. "Dish the dirty details."

"For old times sake." Vero laughed, fixing her hat.

Ally shook her head and put it down. Since I never slept with the girl, she wasn't part of the stories I had told Vero. And she knew it.

"Not now." I said, waving my hand in the air as if I had just dismissed it like nothing. "Come on, last one down the hill is buying the next round of hot chocolate at the lodge!" I laughed as I gave myself a head start and pushed down the hill, feeling the adrenaline pumping through my veins as my speed picked up.