Didn't You Get The Memo?

Sofi's PoV

I looked around the cafeteria and sighed. I was pretty much alone. With Lauren being gone in B.C. still and Camila traveling and chasing her dreams, I was stuck at school, the first day back from a week break and it sucked.

I looked down at my algebra book and shoved it back in my bag. I couldn't even concentrate on my own thoughts, let alone a bunch of freaking letters and numbers that made no sense at all. Sammy was always good at helping me concentrate on my school work.

"Hey you," I felt warm breath wash across my cheek and I grinned as soft lips pressed against the skin. "Miss me?"

I watched Sammy sit down next to me with a huge grin on her face. "You know, I did." I chuckled.

"Yea, I kinda missed you too," she shrugged playfully and propped an elbow up on the table, looking at me, "so, how are you?"

Sammy and I talked on the phone a few times after our break-up. We both felt good about the decision even though it did happen a little out of nowhere. But why pretend to be with someone who you know you're not in love with?

This was the first time I was face to face with her since then and she was still as beautiful as ever. "Good," I smiled and nodded towards her, "you?"

"Bored." She answered with a laugh. "I've spent every single free minute with you that now I just don't know what to do with myself."

"I hear you on that one." I grinned. "But you know, we could always be bored together, if you wanted."

Sammy smiled and nodded, taking out her lunch. "I'd love that," she sighed.

"Me too." I sat there and skimmed the cafeteria before my gaze landed back on Sammy. She was smiling at me. "What?"

"You haven't told them yet, have you?"

She was referring to Lauren and Camila about our break-up. "No, I mean why bother them right now?" I shrugged, eyeing up her fruit, "Lauren's got her thing going on and Mila is playing hockey," I grabbed her apple and bit into it before handing it back, "just tell them when they get back."

Sammy agreed and started to eat her lime Jell-o. She offered me a bite and I took it. "Didn't you pack a lunch, Sofia?" She chuckled.

"Mmm," I shrugged, "I had breakfast."

"Ah," she looked at me and smiled.

We sat there quietly before I found the courage to talk to her about the class ring. "Here," I slid it off my finger and she frowned at me, "what?"

"No," Sammy took the ring and put it back on my finger, "you can't give that back."

"Well I can't very well keep it either!" I raised an eyebrow, tilting my head. "It's your Senior Class ring Samantha, you should keep it for yourself or for someone else who totally knocks you off your feet."

Sammy shook her head vigorously and placed her hand over mine. "I gave that ring to you for a reason," she whispered, "Sofia, you're special to me and I want you to have it."

"But don't you want it to be given to someone who you love?" I played with the piece of jewellery while looking at her.

"I did," she packed up her bag and pulled me up off the seat, making our way towards the library.

"I meant someone who you'll fall in love with." I whispered as we sat down.

"I want you to have it," she smiled softly – a smile that melted my heart. "Just because I'm not in love with you, doesn't mean I still don't love you. Sofi," she brushed hair out of my eyes, "we're the best of friends. You know all my darkest secrets and I know yours, we're like, best friend soul mates."