I Can Stand My Own Ground

Lauren's PoV

"Laur," Kyla grabbed my wrist and pulled me against the rickety bench by the pond, "she's going to show up."

"Where did she have to go in such a hurry?" I asked, making repeated tracks in the snow as I walked back and forth again.

"From what it sounds like, to kick Normani's ass?" Kyla pushed herself up off the bench and stood on her tiptoes as we heard a vehicle approach us.

"Normani wouldn't do that to Camila." I said, almost to myself. Sure once a cunt, always a cunt, but there was no way Normani would set Camila up like that – especially if she loved the game half as much as Camila did.

"I've got one minute left, who's good?" Camila hopped out of her vehicle and made her way towards us. She leaned in for a chaste kiss and pulled back, wrapping her arms around my neck. "Sorry," she whispered.

"Did you kick it good?" I asked in a playful tone and laughed when she pulled back, looking at me slightly confused.

"Um, sure?" Camila grinned sheepishly and Kyla snorted.

"She meant Normani's ass," the other girl continued to laugh as she walked over to the pond and began to glide on it with her boots.

"Oh," Camila ducked her head briefly before looking at me, "Yea, I didn't get to kick her ass this time."

"Aww, I bet that disappointed you, eh?" I raised an eyebrow and pinched her cheek teasingly. "She didn't tell Coach Lit, did she?"

Camila shook her head and bit her lip. "I don't know why she was the first person I thought of," she whispered.

"Because you'd jump at any chance to get in her face," I nodded and held her hand as we walked towards Kyla, "I would've paid to see that."

"You would," Camila teased and bumped my shoulder.

"I'm really sorry about the team Camila," I say in all seriousness, squeezing her hand, "but you know they she can't kick you off for being gay, right? I mean, that's discrimination and you're the best thing they've got."

"Without you, Scorpions are pretty much fucked," Kyla finished and Camila laughed, nodding to agree. "I don't want to go home."

Camila sighed and leaned her forehead against her best friend's. "I ran into Austin at his school," I noticed the glimmer of hope touch Kyla's eyes, "I don't forgive him for the way he acted," she continued but smiled softly, "but he wants to be there for you Kyla. He wants to be there when you tell your parents."

Kyla's eyes widened. "They'll kill him!" She stepped back from Camila, her eyes darting from mine to her best friend's. "Oh God," then it dawned on her, she really wasn't going to be alone in this, "he said that?"

Camila nodded and wrapped her arms around both of our waists. "In the meantime, we should get you back home before your mom calls my mom..." she cleared her throat and looked at Kyla, "my mom knows by the way."

"What?!" Kyla yelped and held one hand on her stomach and one hand on her forehead. "Oh my God, don't I just look like a big disappointment."

"Right," I finally cut in with a soft laugh, "it takes two to get someone pregnant."

"Yeah." Camila nodded. "Besides, my mom was angrier at me for cheating on Austin than she was that I was actually sleeping with another woman."

"Really." Kyla replied with a grin on her face. "Wow."

"But then she fainted!" I pointed out and Kyla went back to scowling. "Hey, my Aunt and Uncle aren't very happy with me either. I mean, Uncle Vic gets it, but Aunt Greta? She hasn't spoken to me since yesterday morning. Oh," I turned to look at Camila, "she really wants a talk with you so I'd steer clear until the smoke settles."