Holding My Breath

Lauren's PoV

You would think it was thundering out with the sounds my heart was making by pounding hard against my chest, causing the blood to rush wildly in my ears.

Her chocolate eyes were heavy on me as her chest heaved with anticipation. I blindsided the poor girl with the question that I wanted to ask her and never really meant too, but it was there. It was out there and that was truly how I felt but I didn't want to scare her away.

She looked like she was about to cry and I couldn't tell if it was a bag thing or a good thing. I started to panic, thinking I probably just ruined the strong relationship we worked hard to create.

"I didn't mean," I sighed heavily and ducked my head a little bit, "like right now or anything. I mean, I want to marry you in the future of course. Not right now because we're young and we've got other things to think about and I really didn't mea-"

"Yes." Her voice was barely a whisper but I heard it loud and clear. My green eyes snapped to her big chocolate shocked eyes and she licked her lips. She stared at me and I swallowed.

Oh right.

She was waiting for my reaction to her answer.

"Yes." Camila repeated a little louder but this time there was a blinding smile that spread across her face. My heart stopped.

I could see stars but took a deep breath.

Was I engaged?

Oh right.

She was still waiting for my reaction. "Camila," I breathed and was enveloped in her arms as her lips found mine.

Warm flesh moved slowly against my lips. Slow was the key word. She dragged her perfectly shaped lips against mine at a pace that was almost unmovable. "Yes." She repeated again and pressed her hand against my large hoodie, over my heart.

"Oh God." I couldn't help but smile back at her, tears were streaming down my face. "Really?"

Camila nodded. I don't think she could talk either. We both leaned in to kiss over and over again.

Needless to say that I was the happiest seventeen year old on the face of the earth.

I pulled back, my hot breath against her lips as I dug inside my jean pocket before shakily grabbing her left hand. "I know it's not much," I whispered as I placed the band of white gold on her ring finger, chewing on my bottom lip, "but when you were warming up before your game earlier, I asked Chase if she knew a good jewellery store and well, this just seemed perfect."

Camila stared at the plain yet elegant looking band before her lashes flicked upwards, her eyes burning into mine. "It's beautiful." She held her hand up and looked at the ring closely. "You didn't have too, Lo."

I raised an eyebrow and grabbed her left hand gently, pressing my lips against it. "I just proposed. You cannot propose without a ring, Camz." I laughed lightly when she grinned, pleased that I did have a ring.

Camila smirked and kissed me again. "This is perfect," she pulled back and tugged on the strings of my hoodie, "you are perfect."

After a bit of kissing and more silent dancing, we finally walked along Main Street again, entwined hands swinging freely, looking for something to do before heading back to the hotel. We'd be leaving this place after Camila's last game and we wanted to explore a little more.

"We could catch a movie?" Camila pointed towards the theatre. Looking across the street, I noticed that Rapture was throwing an open mic night.

"Or we can check out what kind of talent this place holds." I smiled and she nodded. Walking across the street, we made our way into the building where a few people stared at us.

It was like they knew we weren't from around here.

"Camila, Lauren," Chase was the first to greet us with a smile across her face, "didn't think we'd see you again."

"Camwila, Laurwen!" Jaiden came running up to us and smiled goofily. "Mommy says you skate!" Her eyes widened at Camila.

I looked up at Chase, "she's got quite the memory."

"She gets that from Eph, they never seem to forget anything or anyone they meet," she smirked and leaned in, "it's a little creepy."

I shared a laugh with her before I found Camila and Jaiden in a deep conversation about hockey. They were talking about their favourite teams and when Camila mentioned she was hoping to play in the Olympics, Jaiden was that more into her, crawling on her lap.

"Is Ephiny the hockey fan as well?" I raised an eyebrow.

Chase smirked, "no, she gets that from me. Jai wants to play hockey but she's a little too small yet. But she will, eventually."

"Have you evewr been slammed up against the bowrds?" The small brunette asked with excitement.

"Plenty of times," Camila smiled and looked over at me, a blush crawling upon her skin.

I could tell she was enjoying her conversation with the four year old. But it made her more of a softy and I knew that killed her inside.

It was more than adorable.

"So open mic night?" I turned back to Chase, who was checking off some sort of list on her clipboard.

"Yeah," she smiled, "it's been a while since the town threw things for teenagers to enjoy without having to be nineteen to party in the bars. Ephiny and I thought it'd be a good idea to make Saturday nights open mic night. So far it's working."

I glanced around the huge place and really got a glimpse of how many people were waiting for a turn to share their music or comedic skills.

The evening was special to me and Camila. I mean, I had just proposed to her and I wanted to seal that with something else I had been working on. Making sure she wasn't paying attention to me, I whispered something in Chase's ear and was happy that she nodded and told me to follow her.

"Camz," I caught her attention and cupped her cheek softly, "I'll be right back. Did you want anything to drink?"

"Dr. Pepper." She grinned.

Like I had to ask.

"Me too!" Jaiden giggled and slid off Camila's lap once I stood, taking my seat beside her.

I smirked and leaned forward to kiss Camila's forehead. "Be right back," I whispered and she nodded.