Chapter 22

Third person p.o.v

The ride was quiet. 

Usually, whenever Harry and Liam traveled anywhere, Niall would constantly be chatting and everyone was used to jokes or gossip. While Louis would blast the radio to drown out the loneliness.

The silence wasn't exactly comforting yet it wasn't uncomfortable either. It was just... silent.  Yet, it was so loud.  A million unasked questions rang through the air.  Harry had an arm around Louis' slim waist while Louis clutched the papers tightly in his hand. Liam tried to focus on the road, nearly crashing into a truck at some point which led Harry to practically move Louis to his lap. 

Louis didn't protest, frankly, 21 hours ago Louis would have killed to be on Harry's lap. But now he couldn't care less, the numbness had taken over Louis.  Right now, Louis was running on autopilot. 

    "So..umm, what's up with the papers, lou?" Harry's deep voice tried to start a conversation. Liam wished Louis would reply with than just a "You'll see."

He kinda missed the sometimes annoying but loud beta. Always cracking jokes, not affected by anything and talking about all the shit in the world. But Louis wasn't a beta, that was the whole point.It was all a well-hidden lie. Louis could just tell them the shorter route to the pack's house rather than have them take the hour-long route but all he wanted was to look out the window. The world looked so pretty when you stopped caring with nothing left to hide.

The light's at the pack's house were on and Zayn stood at the door. The minute Liam parked the car in the driveway, Zayn was opening the car door, shouting at them for leaving him and their 'precious omega' home all alone. And the moment his eyes landed on Louis; half on the backseat half on Harry, his rage grew.

"Don't tell me you left me and Niall alone to pick up a stoned Louis. Guys, we discussed this. Anything to do with him calls for a pack meeting."

Liam had never realized the disgust filled in Zayn's voice until just now. Did his voice reflect the same amount of disgust?

"Zayn, calm down, it's important. Let's go talk inside." At Liam's command, Zayn stepped aside. Harry and Louis climbed out the backseat with Louis hiding behind Harry's broad torso. Louis was much shorter than Harry, with only his soft hair peeking over Harry's shoulder. Holding Harry's huge hands, Louis entered the house for the first time in years. He remembers the last time he came when the management had just switched him to the strongest dose of suppressants, used by the omegas in Military under strict supervision. It wasn't very clear since the last time he came was during the Christmas of 2012. Five years ago.

The only part which wasn't blurry or in quick flashes was him playing the piano and the boys dancing. It was a wonderful night.  26ht December 2012.

Niall crushed Louis in a hug, kissing his forehead softly.

Liam followed Zayn into one the rooms, grabbing Harry's arm who was planning to cuddle with Louis. Niall was there for that.  Niall took Louis to sit on the sofa, letting him lean against his chest. 

"So, um, Louis is an omega and not a beta." There was no other way to put it, short and simple. At first, Zayn began laughing loudly at the ridiculous claim, but quickly caught on when he saw Harry's eyes turn into the face of death. Harry's arms reached out to strangle Zayn and Liam thanked God for his strength, being able to hold him back. 

"Wait, you aren't kidding?"

"For god's sake Zayn, why don't you believe us?"

"It's just that Louis does do some shit for attention. And even if he was an omega, why would he hide it? He knows that we love Niall a lot and we are around him quite often, I mean we would have noticed something, guys. So I think you should just probably send him home."

"OH MY FUCKING LORD ZAYN! LOUIS IS A BLOODY OMEGA AND NOT A BETA, WE FOUND SUPPRESSANTS!" 

Harry's voice roared through the silent house, Zayn had managed to hit the last nerve.

"Jeez Harry, calm down. Think about it practically. Louis did do some ridiculous shit in the past, remember when he nearly got himself killed while drag racing? Maybe he's doing this for attention. And those suppressants could have easily been placebos, they were on the news a few months back. They tasted like and smelled like them. And since Niall is an omega, maybe Louis forced him to play along. Remember, he was gone the yesterday? Poor baby. Let's send Louis home and comfort Niall."

"Zayn, You are the dumbest person I-" Liam's rather mean insult was interrupted by a soft voice.

"I knew you wouldn't believe me, so I bought these."  Louis offered the papers from the doorway which Zayn skeptically took. These contracts weren't supposed to be disclosed but who gave a shit anymore. Even if the management sued him, he could easily win because the terms on the contract were inhumane. 

All the changes in Louis' behavior were clearly explained. Louis was forced to deal with all this kind of abuse alone and the boys just added salt to the wounds. From the severity of punishments, if the rules provided were broken to the incredibly dangerous brand of suppressants prescribed, every statement made their hearts clutch. Niall had already read the contract so he took it upon himself to hug Louis. His chest against Louis' back, soft kisses placed on the fluffy sandy hair.

By the end of the contract, it was clear Louis had basically sold his soul for one direction to carry on and never had the boys felt more damn guilty. Their eyes were brimmed with tears and throats were hurting from trying to hold back tears. Louis had done so much, yet they never gave  him a second glance. Louis had seen the worst and best of the very much illegal underworld. They used to see these things on news, but only Louis truly understood how it felt. For the first time, they finally realized ed how strong and courageous Louis had been.

The silence was broken by Louis' soft giggles, the looks on the alphas' faces were ridiculous. At the harmonious sound, all of them rushed to hug Louis. And got a respond. Louis hugged them back as tightly as he could while softly laughing. Only Louis could laugh at a situation like this. 

And after years of hugging pillows, trying to fill in the empty void, Louis felt complete.

Hi, guys! So exams got over and it was pretty average. Also, I meant to update this earlier but my laptops decided to troll me, deleting the written draft. So it's not edited, sorry </3

Also, i started a new story called "the smile of a dead boy" so check it out, pretty please?

Yes that was shameless self-promo. Also, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! 

Vote~comment~follow

all the love, xx