chapter 37

"That's what I thought, too." 

John smiled and clapped his hands, "Thank god that's sorted. Now, Louis, get to work and fix this, won't you?" 

Louis nodded his head, rubbing his face and taking a deep breath.  Ok, Louis thought to himself, I can do this, not a big deal. 

He stretched a bit, almost as though he was getting ready for some kind of battle. Then again, this was no less than fighting multiple lions while stranded on an isolated island due to being shipwrecked and completely hidden away from the world. 

Louis made his way towards the hospital room, a fake confident smile on his lips. Fear and dread coiled in the pit of his stomach, though his face remained relaxed. Louis was a great actor, too good to be good for him. 

He could hear John's footsteps behind him and he knew there was no turning back now. It was final, nothing could save him now.

Sometimes Louis wished he had revealed his status to mom before his father. That man wasn't even in his life anymore. All he did was screw Louis over, like everyone else. He was the only one who had a strong distaste towards male omegas, his mom would be overjoyed by if she knew. Louis also wished that he hadn't tried so hard to earn his father's love and affection. That man saw Louis as nothing but a burden, another weight to carry on his soldiers. Maybe then Louis would have signed up on X-Factor as an omega, without having anything to hide. Louis wished he could have been the part of the pack, know what it's like to be pure and innocent and so unaware of the tragedies in life. Then again, he also sometimes wished to come out of all of this and become an inspiration to all in his position. Sometimes he wished for small things. Like someone getting him a cookie when they stopped to refill or ask him how he was feeling. He wished for someone, may it be a stranger, to just glance at him and smile. Not a forced one, just a genuine polite smile. He also wished someone would ask him why he wasn't breathing, only heaving through corrupted lungs.

In the end, Louis wished for a lot of things, although none of them were answered. But in that exact moment, he didn't wish for anything, almost as though he had given up.

He reached out to grab the doorknob, taking a deep breath, His eyes were slightly glossy and he could see from the corner of his eyes, John was growing impatient. He turned the knob, focusing on breathing. The door suddenly felt a million tons, he seemed to struggle to open. His emotions and thoughts dragged him down to the floor, even though his body was still standing.

After all, nothing kills a man faster than his own thoughts. 

The door made a slight noise, opening up the scene in front of him. Niall stood by Louis' bed, arms wrapped around himself, never had he ever looked so confused. Liam stood beside Niall, looking a bit angry. Zayn and Harry stood on the other side, each looking confused and angry with a hint of disgust. But they weren't looking at him, but at a man in a black suit with a ridiculous tie stood with his arms crossed. Louis guessed he had come along with John.

He coughed slightly, everyone's heads snapping to him.
He opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out. No one had anything to say, everyone was speechless. John coughed once, prompting Louis to start speaking.

"I've... got something to confess, boys."

There was no response, Louis took it as his cue to carry on.

"I'm not an omega, never was and never will be. I'm a beta."

"Not you too. Louis, boo, don't do this. Don't hide the truth from us. We know the management is forcing you to do this, but you don't have to."

Harry shook his head, his curls bouncing in every direction as he spoke. Zayn's eyes remained fixed on the ground as Liam mouth opened and closed periodically much like a goldfish. Niall hid his face away in Liam's shirt.

"I'm not hiding anything Harry, it was all a lie. Take it as an experiment. A social experiment to see if you guys were that naive."

Harry's taken back, eyes blown in emotions Louis can't decipher. Zayn is frowning and Niall looks like he's going to cry.

"Wait-what? Is this- was this all a lie? Are you for real? Was this all a joke for you? What the hell?" 

Liam looks like a confused and angry puppy and Louis would have surely laughed but he can't even bring himself to even look at Liam. Lying comes to him naturally but there's only so much he can take.

"What-what about the reports and the documents and-and" Zayn barely stuttered out a sentence and Louis honestly felt bad for him even though he's going through much worse. 

"It was all fake. You know how easy it is to get these? Just slip a couple extra pounds and no one cares. Gosh, I could have gone around as an omega forever and you guys wouldn't bat an eye." He faked a laugh and forced himself to look in their eyes. To make sure he looked more convincing, more realistic, more beta.

"Why? Why are you lying? We know he's forcing you, isn't he? It's his fault right?" Liam has a finger pointed towards John and as much as Louis wants to scream the truth, he knows he's already swimming in the deep water. The looks John is giving him isn't going to do much good.

"No, I'm not. No one is forcing me to do anything. I am my own man and make my own decisions. The only thing they're forcing me to do is come clean about the truth and tell you guys, that I am in fact a beta."

"Why did you lie then? Why did you play with us like that?"

And it's Niall who finally speaks up, his voice cracking and barely above a whisper. But to Louis, it was louder than any noise in the world. The silence was deafening. 

"I'm sorry."

That's all he could say, his mind had stopped working and he hoped that it would be enough.  But like everything he ever wished for, it wasn't.

"YOU'RE LYING! YOU'RE LYING! I KNOW YOU'RE LYING! YOU ARE HIDING SOMETHING FROM US! YOU'RE LYING!"

Niall began screaming on the top of his lungs and Louis nearly died on the spot of a heart attack. Liam picked up Niall, who trashed around; trying to escape Liam's strong arms. By the time, he's gotten Niall to the door, Niall's calmed down. Now he's sobbing, shaking and crying, snot covering Liam's shirt but the Alpha doesn't mind.  Zayn was hot on Liam's heels, following the pair. Harry sat down the soft hospital bed, head in his hands.

Niall's voice is just a whisper now.

"you're lying, aren't you?"

hey, thanks for reading! sorry for any grammatical errors :)