4| Day One

٥٥٥
Vote
Share
Comment
٥٥٥

My eyes glance at him every once in a while. His voice is calm and smooth. He wears a bored expression while reciting information like he's got it all committed to memory.

He gives me the run down about territories, and which areas belong to which gangs. In short, the A.K's are our sworn enemies, under no circumstances are we allowed to interact with them. Isn't that ironic..? Schools, hospitals, and shopping areas are free ground for everyone. I'll be allowed a short term for training, after which I'll be expected to work, which could mean anything from selling drugs to doing paperwork. All the information gives me headaches. I never realized how organized gangs could be.

"Since I'm your sponsor, you have to follow my personal rules too" he adds. "Obviously, you live with me so I can keep an eye on you. When I speak to you, you do as I say, no talking back, and no attitude. Ask my permission before going out anywhere, especially at night. Don't invite people to my house without permission, especially men."

The last one nearly makes me laugh. I hold back a snort and clear my throat.

He rolls his eyes and continues his speech "The Four should be here soon, you have to answer to them too so you'll meet them now, and then I'll take you some places."

"Who are... The Four" I dare to ask. The title reminds me of super heroes, like The Fantastic Four or The Justice League.

He looks at me quizzically, then shakes his head. "Are you serious?" His frown tells me I've said something wrong.

I turn a shade of crimson and shrug, Why couldn't I just keep my mouth shut!

"They're my partners" he says anyways with a sigh.

We sit in the silence. I stare down at my hands and he looks off into the distance. Every so often I forget what he looks like and sneak a curious glance. Our eyes cross once or twice, he frowns, and we both look away.

Finally the rattling of the door knob juggles us both out of the clouds. The heavy footsteps rumbling in our direction sound like a division of marching soldiers on enemy soil. My eyes settle on the lot, and it doesn't take long for me to realize... oh no, these aren't superheroes. In fact they're exactly the opposite. The four of them more closely resemble The Frightful Four or The Suicide Squad. This batch of super villains is the terror striking ensemble that Marvel failed to bring to life. And with Cole leading the bunch their image of immorality is complete.

My eyes settle on the familiar face first; Kai and he looks menacing enough on his own. Their unmarked expressions burn holes in my delicate skin. I realize this is all one big mishappening; the six of us, gathered here, under this high class roof, surrounded by elegant vases, and glimmering union lamps. We're like a muddy footprint on a brand new crisp white rug. None of us belong here, and that's a fact.

"You already know Kai" Cole starts to speak. I give him a weak nod and avoid eye contact.

"Beside him, that's Draco"

My eyes skim over the brutish man that crosses his inked up arms over his chest. I try to make out the words and pictures tattooed all over his face. Just looking at him gives me chills.

"Then, we have Bryson"

And Bryson is no better. His copper brown skin, is smooth and free of emblems apart from the remnants of one that crawls up his neck. However his frown and cold dark eyes are just as frightening.