19| Sunshine

٥٥٥
Vote
Share
Comment
٥٥٥

Pedro hands over the phone.

"Hello, Brent?" I say nervously. I squeeze my fist so tight my nails dig into my palm.

"Ava" he says back.

"Err it's good to hear your voice."

"Yeah, you too" he says.

"Don't you have anything to tell me?" I ask.

"Don't you have anything to tell me?" He echoes back.

"Brent, don't you care about me at all?"

He scoffs "Ava, I asked you to do a simple thing and so far you've failed me!" He shouts.

"I can't believe you, that's all you care about? you haven't spoken to me in nearly two months! What if I was dead?" I ramble.

"If you were dead, I'd know, I just need you to focus on your task, this is serious Ava, do whatever you have to do!" He scolds.

He lets out a frustrated huff and I hand the phone back to Pedro "I don't want to talk to him anymore." I tell him.

Pedro shrugs before putting the phone to his ear "hey boss... I know" he says. "I will, always keeping an eye out boss..." "I'll keep an eye on her" he finishes before hanging up.

"You know Brent does care about you" he says and hands over an ice cream cone.

"Easy for you to say, he actually calls you" I shake my head "I just don't understand, we took care of each other for so long, he's so different now."

"Well, he is under a lot of stress" Pedro shrugs.

"Yeah, maybe" I sigh.

"Where's Gino is he alright?" I try to change the subject.

"Yeah he's good, just keeping his distance.".

I chuckle "he's probably better off that way."

Pedro shrugs "yeah maybe... I think," he dawns an introspective stare "I think he's more afraid of Cole than he lets on."

I sigh. Everything always seems to lead back to Cole. I can't remember the last time I had a conversation that didn't somehow involve him.

"You should be scared too Ava, don't get too close to that guy" he warns.

"I know, I don't plan on."

He flashes me an unconvinced look. "Here take my phone and make sure you wipe your social media clean" he offers.

I do as I'm told. I'm grateful for the concern he's shown for me. Although looking through my social media reminds me of the life I've left behind.

"Pedro, why were you trying to leave The A.K's ?"

"A girl" he snorts. "I met her last summer, she was proper... raised in a good family, white picket fence, parents still together for the sake of the kids, even though they hate each other, you know that real proper shit." He starts. "I fell in love, I shouldn't have, and she should've known better too, but there we were, standing in a gas station bathroom with a positive pregnancy test." He sighs.

"I made her a lot of promises that I couldn't keep, she didn't even know how deep I was into this gang life. The pregnancy tore apart her family, her dad wanted her to get rid of it, her mom wanted her to keep it, now she's somewhere with my son and I can't even see them." He sighs "I fucked up her life, she was supposed to be at some Ivy League school getting her degree. now she's a single mother raising a cholo's baby" he chuckles. "I figure the least I could do is leave behind this gang banging shit for the sake of my son, at least try to take care of them the right way."