26| Reckless

٥٥٥
Vote
Share
Comment
٥٥٥

"Things are getting worse," Cole says calmly to the small group assembled in the living room.

Kai, Juggy, Draco, and Bryson reply with a chorus of "yup's" "mhmms" and nods.

I sit at the top of the stairs, eavesdropping on the conversation.

"You handled the situation well Kai, if that fight would've happened it would have been enough to tip the glass and start the whole war," Bryson says.

Kai scoffs "I was ready to rip Brent's head off."

I wince at his words. Sometimes I don't even know who's side I'm on anymore.

"We have to stay one step ahead of them, we can keep trying to prevent a war but it's safe to say, no matter what we do it may still happen." Draco chimes in.

"Yup, so that means we start building up inventory now, increase recruitment efforts, as well as patrolling of territories," Cole says.

"I still say we put more effort in trying to stop the war, nobody needs the trouble of shifting territories, it will devastate both gangs leaving room for other smaller gangs in town to try and fill the voids, we don't want to end up like Chicago." Bryson says.

"Honestly I don't give a shit, we're stronger right now meaning there's no way they'll win, we might lose territory to smaller gangs but it will be easier taking that territory back. We'll lose money in the short term, but if we plan this strategically in the long term we would have doubled our turf." Kai says.

"Shut up Kai you're running on adrenaline and ego right now. We all know there's no way any one gang can maintain all that territory, we'd have no choice but to switch Thirteens into a supplier operation and contract out with other smaller gangs. The supplier market is even more unstable and harder to manage, we could have a booming business for one year, then the next year no one would want our product, we'd no longer have the power or credit in the streets, I don't know about you but I like power." Bryson says.

"Alright, alright" Cole says "here's what we'll do. We'll split priorities fifty-fifty, preparing for the war and working on stopping it... if we can. We'll start with the school... tensions are sure to be high there tomorrow. If our efforts to make peace don't work we'll switch gears swiftly, we'll go 150 percent war mode." He says.

"The deal I made with The Republics should provide more than enough weaponry for the war once it goes through." He says.

"What's going on with that, anyway?" Draco asks.

"I don't know man, they want me to go back up there to finalize the details, that's the last thing I want to do, I can't be away for another week, not now." He replies.

"Yeah, you were completely out of it when you came back last time." Kai says.

"Those guys are on another level, I saw some things... tripped me out for a second there."

I think back to a couple months ago when Cole disappeared. I remember feeling like he was different when he came back, I guess my feeling was right. I wonder what was so bad that he witnessed.

The men grunt and mumble in agreement.

"Okay, so Bryson try to get in contact with Jeanie and work out a solution for the school." Cole says.

"Alright it's a plan guys, I have to go patrol the warehouses for the shipment tomorrow," Draco says.

"Oh yeah, Juggy I need your help with the new database for the bank accounts, meet me at the tech house," Kai says.

The guys clear out. I count out five minutes to make it seem like I wasn't eavesdropping before descending.

Cole sits on the couch with his head buried in his hands. I stand at the bottom of the stairs waiting for him to acknowledge me before approaching him.

"What do you want, Ava?" He groans.

"Umm nothing" I shrug.

He digs in his pocket, pulling out a pack of cigs and a lighter. I watch as he places one between his lips and then smoothly flicks the lighter on in one try. He takes in one deep breath, holding the smoke in for a second before releasing.

"I hardly ever see you smoke" I say, barely above a whisper.

"I only smoke when I'm stressed" he leans back into the couch.

I walk over, tentatively sitting across from him.

"What are you stressed about?" I ask, as if I wasn't just listening to his conversation.

He looks up at me from underneath his eyelashes and snorts. "Look, I have some company coming over-"

Before he can finish the sentence the door swings open and in walks a familiar face. She strolls in with her long legs, stuffed into ultra-tight jeans that perfectly outline her thigh gap. Her sleek long hair is straightened to perfection parted in the middle like, 00' Avril Lavigne. It's the Blonde haired Bimbo from the nightmare club night.

Her eyes grow wide as they settle on me. We look back and forth at each other for a long, drawn-out moment.

"Umm hey, I'm Katie," she says finally. She walks over stretching her thin hand out for me to shake.

I frown but hesitantly embrace the gesture.

"Hey Cole," she says. Switching her attention to the person for whom she's come here.

I watch in bewilderment as she kneels at his feet, seizes his cigarette box and pulls out a new one. She puts her hand up for him to hand over his old stub, places the new cigarette in his mouth for him, and then lights it.

Cole smirks, taking in a new puff. She smiles back at him warmly.

My mouth drops at the level of ass-kissing I've just witnessed.

"Yeah, I'm going upstairs" I don't think anyone's even listening to me. I hurry away taking the stairs two at a time. I've never been more eager to put distance between myself and a couple.

I'm not jealous!

I'm not jealous!

I'm jealous.

٥٥٥
Cole and Ava?
Cole and Scarlet?
Cole and Katie?
How about Cole needs to get neutered?
🦋 Thanks for reading beautiful butterfly 🦋

٥٥٥