46| Rome

٥٥٥
Vote
Share
Comment
٥٥٥

"What comes to mind when you think of Italy?" I ask Cole

He shrugs "Cosa Nostra."

"The Mafia, of course!" I chuckle. He leans his head back into his seat, glancing leisurely outside the window. The view is one of picturesque qualities. Green rolling hills like sleeping giants, lush green grass like the softest of carpets, and curls of crushing yellow flowers that compete with the bright sun overhead.

"What about you?" He chuckles back.

"Mmmm Lady and the Tramp," I say.

He sits up to get a better look at me, an amused smile spreading across his lips. "What does that have to do with Italy?"

"You know the scene where they share spaghetti... obviously spaghetti is pasta and pasta equals Italy"

He chuckles, shaking his head in confusion "Your brain works backward" he teases me.

We're on our way to the Italian Alps for a few days. Strangely enough, I've missed the cold. The rolling hills turn into snow-peaked mountains, and before long were being ushered into the room at our resort that overlooks the entire scene.

The fireplace is going, the bed is decorated with flower petals, there's a bottle of wine accompanied by two glasses on the dining table. I kick my boots off, leaving a wet puddle at the entrance. Let me tell you something about the Italian Alps, there's cold, and then there's COLD! I appreciate the warmth emanating from the fireplace, I draw near to it, defrosting my near frostbitten fingers.

We're only here for two days, I'm excited to start exploring.

Layers! Layers! Layers!

Our cable car treks steadily up the hill. I'm warm but it's hard to move. The white covered slope becomes more and more visible to me. My stomach does a flip. I've never done this before. Cole has so he's not nervous, not that he's ever nervous. My mittens are too large so I can't hold his hand, I mindlessly tap them against the leg of my windbreaker instead. The board is already attached to my feet, I look down at the monstrosity that will soon weigh me down.

"We're up really high," I say.

"Scared?" Cole replies.

I shake my head no. Of course, I'm scared, has he seen this hill!

Finally, at the top, we have to make it quick and jump off. I eyeball the slope, looking for the end somewhere in the snowy mist. I'm going to break something, why did I get myself in this mess?

"Go," Cole says.

"Umm no, no, I'm not ready" I protest.

His hand lands on my back.

"No! Cole, don't!" I scream, thinking he's going to push me.

My hands flail out beside me as I feel my board shift.

"I'm just trying to help" he chuckles.

"Don't push me!" I cry out for dear life.

"Fine I won't push you" he says "I'll shove you".

With that, his padded hands slam into my side and I'm sent flying down the hill.

"Ahhhhhhhhhh, ahhh, ah, ahhhhhhhh" I screech, feeling the wind zip around me at an unbelievable mile per hour.

It's not until my board lodges in some snow, and I'm sent flying in the air looking like a neon pink creature flailing, and screeching for help, that I realize what's just happened. He pushed me! He really pushed me!