29| Infiltrate

٥٥٥
Vote
Share
Comment
٥٥٥

Okay this isn't so bad.

I sit in a cell by myself. There's no sign of life down here. Other than myself, one lousy unmade mattress sits on the cell floor. There's no fountain for water, and no toilet like I've seen in movies. One dull light bulb dangles above my head inefficiently.

What type of gang has a whole prison!

I'm sure Brent must know I'm here by now. Despite the circumstances, I'm excited to see him.

The hours drag on... no one comes to see me. My bladder threatens to explode on me, and my stomach begs for food.

I lose track of time. Eventually sprawling out on the cell floor and falling asleep. I'm awakened by the sound of approaching footsteps. My first instinct is to panic, but then I hear the familiar whisper of Brent calling my name.

"Ava?" He says.

"I'm here!" I whisper back.

As soon as I see him I jump to my feet, despite my famished state.

"Brent!" I exclaim. walking up to the bars that lock me in.

"I'm so happy to see you!" I say, nearly shedding a tear. He looks the same as I remember him. Tall and lanky with disheveled light brown hair. His blue eyes are hardly visible in the dim light of the downstairs prison.

"Yeah, me too" he says.

"I've missed you so much, you've got no idea," I say, reaching out of the bars for his hands.

He snaps away from me with a frown. "Why'd you come here, Ava?"

"Well apparently Arsen wanted me in exchange for peace at the school, and I figured it'd be a chance to see you," I say, wrinkling my brows at his cold demeanor.

"Arsen? shit!" He stammers as if he was unaware. "Look, I can help you out of here, but I need information." He says.

"You'll only help me if I give you info?" for a second I don't know if I'm hearing properly.

"It's the only way I can help you." He shrugs "tell me what you've learned so far".

"I don't know anything!" I cry.

He chides "It's been months Ava!"

I bite lip nervously. "Exactly! and you told me I only had to do this for ONE month! tops!"

"Okay, just tell me anything you know, even if you think it's small." He says.

"Ummmmm" I scan my brain "okay, well The Thirteens really don't want a war" I say.

"Obviously, You'll have to do better than that, Avie"

"Okay, okay they don't want war but they're still putting 50 percent of their resources into preparing just in case"

He shakes his head "that's common sense, I need more".

"Uhh, they have a new connect that they call The Republics," I say "something about guns".