34| Boss Up

٥٥٥
Vote
Share
Comment
٥٥٥

I wasn't born with leadership, I stole it from its resting place. Like a thief in the night, I made a conscious decision that I wouldn't rest until I got it. My brain was set against it "it's not worth it" It echoed to me over and over. But my ego, alive and strong, shouted at me to take my rightful place as head of The Thirteens. That is the Thirteens at the school, for as reckless as my ego maybe, it could never challenge Cole nor could it muster up the courage to govern such a large organization. So it settled for the school and that is where I shot my shot.

Gathered in our regular spot I've rounded up all the troops. Jeannie the current leader looks white in the face. My return is not good news for her fate, and she knows this. I hardly pay her any attention which only makes her more nervous, everyone knows she'd have her head on a stake if I hadn't asked Cole to spare her.

"As you all know I'm back... for good" I say. "I'm sure all of you know what happened, and the circumstances around my... departure" I purposely use vague words, the point of this meeting is not to remind everyone of my unfortunate close encounter with the rival gang. That is a matter I've left in the past along with the old, weak, unconfident, version of myself I no longer wish to know.

"But, that's all behind me now, we need to focus on moving forward, so I don't want to hear a word about it." I warn them.

"You may have noticed the A.K's are back in line, that in part is due to yours truly. Now it's time for us to focus on what really matters here, you are all to continue following the treaty, just because we have an upper hand on them now, doesn't mean you can lash out." I warn the group.

I catch a short glimpse of Jeannie's angered, pinched face. Just like that I've come in and swooped away her position, without any hesitation from the other members. I'm a ball of molten, black fire that has finally exploded so the rest of the world can see me as a star, and I'm loving every second of it.

"If any of you have any questions you know where to find me" I finish off. This is my debut. In truth, I don't have much to say but it was important for me to seize the opportunity of my dramatic re-entrance. If I were to wait for the dust to settle Jeanie would easily be able to stabilize herself back at the top.

I dismiss the group and march confidently to my next class. "Miss Alvarez late again" the teacher scowls.

I scowl back at her pointedly before marching over to my seat. My usual snoring neighbor isn't here anymore. In his place, a chocolate haired boy whose face is perched between his arms, flat against the desk. He peeks at me, showing no signs of shyness that I'm looking right back at him. He squints his steel-grey eyes at me and I raise my eyebrow quizzically.

"Is there a problem" I snap.

"No" he shakes his head, neither phased by my attitude or unmotivated to continue his staring. I sigh and put my head down, avoiding his prying eyes.

When the bell rings, I hurry out the door, he for some reason hurries after me.

"What do you want from me?" I ask him, now growing annoyed.

"Don't you remember me" he replies.

"No, I'm new here" I lie.

"No you're not Avaline, I'm not stupid" he scoffs.

I lurch to a sudden stop. "Okay, maybe you do know me" I turn around to meet his eyes.