50| Sorrow

٥٥٥
Vote
Share
Comment
٥٥٥

The flight home is long and taxing. My stomach cramps the whole time, but I keep my composure. I don't want Cole to worry anymore.

All we know is something has happened back home and we need to get back as soon as possible.

"If we did have a child, and it was a girl, what would you name her?" I ask him.

"I don't know, but something meaningful." He says.

"What about a boy?"

He takes a moment to think "probably Kailen" he shrugs.

"You mean after Kai?" I say.

"Yeah" he nods "he and I, we've been through a lot together, he's my brother" he says.

It's sweet. I wish I had someone that close to me, someone I'd name my daughter after, those type of friendships are rare.

"What about you" he asks.

"I don't know, never thought about it until now" although that's not completely true. I always knew that if I had a son I'd want to name him after Brent. It's crazy how our relationship has ended up. I never wanted to join this gang, I knew it was a bad idea, but looking back now, I don't regret it.

٥٥٥

I step out of the car. It's cold here, the sky above us is dark. A thick coat of snow covers the sidewalks. There are three cars parked in the driveway. Looks like the gangs all here. Cole walks ahead of me, I crunch after him trying to keep up. It's strange being home again, I feel like I've been gone forever.

The door swings open and we're met with familiar faces. No ones smiling, in fact they don't look happy to see us at all. "What the hell is going on?" Cole cuts straight to the chase. I stare at the back of his hooded head, he looks so tall in his all black gear.

"Is anyone going to speak?" He scolds the group of men. They all shift in their seats, someone clears their throat. The vibe in the room is strange, it makes me nervous.

"I'll tell him" Bryson says quietly. He stands up, nervously shuffling his feet.

"A couple days ago ummm..." his voice falters. I don't think I've ever seen Bryson so nervous. "It's, ummm, you see..." he tries again.

"Kai's dead" Draco cuts in.

The room falls deadly silent. I instantly feel dizzy? I take a seat on the couch behind me. Maybe I didn't hear right.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Cole rolls his eyes.

"Kai's dead Cole, he's dead," Bryson says finally.

Juggy buries his face in his palm, and it's only now I register Kai's absence. I feel the color drain from my face, I hold my breath, scared to make even the slightest noise.

"That's not funny, Kai can't be dead!" Cole growls.

Draco speaks in a hushed one "He's dead Cole, he's really dead."

I watch Cole walk in a full circle, and then he sits beside me on the couch. He places both hands on top of his head, and stares at the floor. The room is silent for what feels like ten whole minutes until he speaks again.