13| Something New

٥٥٥
Vote
Share
Comment
٥٥٥

Cole is different.

He's been home two weeks and I'm certain now, he's different somehow. Don't get me wrong he's just as mean as ever. But his attitude and demeanor have shifted. It's almost as if he's found a more mature way to torture me.

He's colder somehow. His words are reserved, instead he threatens me with his icy glare and I find myself almost missing his insults.

My brain runs in circles trying to understand what may have caused this sudden shift. When he speaks of his trip, he says only good things, although he's yet to reveal what exactly this new deal that he's made entails. I'm convinced he's holding back more information than he lets on.

I stay out of his way by going above and beyond in my training, so as to not require his scolding. Although he refuses to compliment me in any way, he recently told me that I'm just about done with the shooting practice, he says I'm ready to move on to bigger things, whatever that means.

I pray that he doesn't mean I'll be spending more time boxing. I'm sick and tired of Raven and Scarlet as it is. They've grown bored with subjecting me to penalties so now they spend their energy finding small petty ways to piss me off. I learned long ago to make myself as small as possible when it comes to those two. I purposefully underperform in every task lest I trigger Raven's anger. I especially underperform when it comes to our three minute matches. Raven enjoys pummeling me every day and I let her. On the bright side I've grown quite a high pain tolerance, her hits hardly phase me anymore. In return She and Scarlet tease and bully me as much as they can, but I've come to accept that their ridicule is better than their rage.

I've grown stronger in other ways too. My stamina has certainly improved, my arms and abs grow more defined as the weeks go on. I almost feel happy with the person I see in the mirror.

Today Cole decides he'll check in with our boxing practice, he does this every once in a while. I'm torn between going on with my basic routine of acting like I can't do anything for myself, or doing my best to impress Cole. I mentally smite myself for even thinking this way. I shouldn't have any interest, what so ever in impressing him. He's proven time and time again that it's nearly impossible to please him. But then I see him flirtatiously wrap his arm around Scarlet's shoulder and my mind is made up.

Raven simply can't keep up, I out do her in everything. The humiliation is evident on her face. If this were a cartoon; steam would be pouring out of her ears. I almost feel bad for her. I imagine her in a state of pure perplexity.

When it comes time for our one on one match, I show no mercy. I whip Raven around the ring so bad, she doesn't know what hit her, or who hit her in this case.

Scarlet fumes from outside the ring. Beside her, Cole sits with his elbows on his knees, one hand bracing his chin, his lips turned up with amusement. As for Hornball: well, I've never seen him so excited. I suppose he's just as tired of Raven as I am. The sense of approval floods my mind and I hold nothing back. It's safe to say I get my payback for the weeks of torture she put me through.

At the three minute mark Scarlet runs into the ring and begins yelling "what the hell was that? You're not supposed to do that" she starts.

"Not supposed to do what?" I ask

"She is your sister you can't treat her like that" she argues.

"No rules remember" now it's my turn to smirk.

"You know what that means for tomorrow, pen-al-ty!" She scolds.