25| Welcome

٥٥٥
Vote
Share
Comment
٥٥٥

"Hurry up let's go!" Kai Says. He laces his sketched up fingers then cracks them all at once. I can't help but stare, all those tattoos, his perfectly unkept asymmetrical hair, his lengthy dark lashes. The way he dresses. he looks like an Instagram model.

"Wait, umm, I probably.... I should probably grab-"

"Everything you need is in the backpack, lets go!" He cuts me off, taking the liberty to start walking ahead of me.

I bite my lip nervously. I feel like I'm forgetting something. I usually forget something. I take one last weary look around the house. Turning to frown at Kai, I move one foot in front of the other in a dejected fashion. He narrows his already narrow eyes at me and shakes his head pitifully. I walk past him then circle his black G-Wagon.

"What is it with you people and black cars anyways?" I ask as I hoist myself up to the seat.

Kai who's somehow beat me to the car, looks at me from the side of his eye. he raises one confused brow. "Don't you know anything?" He says with a frown.

I bury my burning face in my palms. "Umm never mind" I groan.

I pull the backpack from under my seat, tug at the stiff zipper, and start to rummage through its contents. A binder, three notebooks, a pencil pouch, a cellphone, a wallet. I pull out the wallet, scratching against the leather and poking at the silver zippered design. My fingers trace the two c's in the front. Chanel, I think that's expensive.

"Black is our color, other gangs in town have other colors. Lower ranks like yourself can go with whatever colors they want, although most still rather stick with black. But considering me and the others are the leaders of this gang it's only fitting we look the part... Plus it's bad ass" he finishes with a shrug.

I nod, looking over his black sweatpants, hoodie, and baseball cap. I think back to whether or not I ever saw Brent only wearing a certain color. I suppose he did own a lot of red.

"I hate high school" I blurt out, changing the subject.

Kai rolls his eyes "you and everybody else" he snorts "high school was shitty, I mean until I hit my growth spurt and finally earned my spot in the crew."

"Why did you choose this life? you could've been so much more." I dare to ask. I have no idea how Kai might react, but I've never been one to keep my mouth shut.

"So, because I'm Asian you assume I was academically gifted?" He chuckles.

"Well were you?" I shrug.

He pauses for a second, thinking about the question.

"Yeah, I guess I was, I graduated with a 4.6 weighted GPA, but I learned quickly that books and studying wouldn't get me the money or power I wanted. My brain is being used for a better cause now" he says.

"Yeah, and what's that, making sure all the neighborhood kids stay high out of their minds?" I say.

He looks at me in amusement "something like that" he chuckles "when you get to school you'll have to earn your way into the crew too, so you better be on your best behavior. The last thing you want is to be on your own in that A.K infested shit hole."

"Huh, but I'm already in the gang" I regard him quizzically.

"That doesn't mean anyone has to like you, or befriend you, You'll have to earn loyalty and trust just as much as anyone else" he shrugs.

I throw my head back into the seat and groan "why do I have to do this?"

"Because you're useless everywhere else." He says matter of factly.