52| Chase

٥٥٥
Vote
Share
Comment
٥٥٥

There's nothing like tragedy to bring people together.

Ravens lost her cousin and her nephew, so today the remaining four girls in the gang have decided to do something nice for her.

She's been burning off steam at the gym for hours on end. We'll all surprise her there so she can't say no, then we'll take her home, binge watch all the comedies we can find on bootleg internet sites, and eat until we all explode.

"This is a bad idea" Jeannie groans. For once I agree with her.

"Shut up, If we don't do this for her, no one will." Scarlet scolds "Besides, these streets are being patrolled, nothing's going to happen."

"Let's just get it over with" Katie sighs.

I glance at her small frame from the corner of my eyes. The four of us unlikely allies in one place is quite a comical scene, but I can hardly focus because I haven't seen much of Cole in the last two weeks. I spend most of my nights praying he isn't dead. This whole war has me on edge.

We walk single file into the gym. Ravens strained grunts can be heard along with her fist striking against a punching bag.

"Surprise" Scarlet squeals as we rear into the room.

Raven doesn't seem surprised. She doesn't seem excited either.

"Oh," she furrows her brows "hey guys".

"We wanted to come check on you" Scarlet squeezes her in a hug.

"Yeah, we haven't seen you around much." Katie adds, forcing a smile.

"Well you know" Raven shrugs, her right-hand hugs her left elbow, a bead of sweat trails down her glistening brown shoulders. Her hair is tied back, sweat accumulates at her hairline, she brushes some away before shrugging.

"How are you holding up, with, ya know," Jeanie says.

"Well... umm" Raven says. Her face reddens and she looks down at the floor.

"You idiot!" Scarlet growls "You're going to make her cry."

Scarlet's arms wrap around Raven's shoulders. They sink to the floor. Raven hides her face in her palms. Her shoulders tremble as she lets out quiet sobs.

"I'm sorry," Jeannie whispers. She sinks to the floor with them.

"It's not your fault Jeannie," Raven says through sobs.

Katie and I join them on the floor, we all cross our legs and let Raven have her cry.

"You guys all came here for me." She says after regaining some composure "it's kind of weird, all of us in one place."

"It was Scarlet's bright idea." Jeannie says.

"You wouldn't know a bright idea if it hit you upside the head Jeannie May," Scarlet says under her breath.

"Why are you attacking her?" Katie says "you always have something to say out of that big mouth of yours" she rolls her eyes.