6| Dance

٥٥٥
Vote
Share
Comment
٥٥٥

"Shooting is your strong point, I need you to focus on that" he tells me before hopping out of the car.

"I have places to be so the guys are going to help you out today" A glance out the car window reveals four familiar brooding men standing at the entrance. My face sinks into a frown. Me, alone with those villains, surrounded by guns and live ammo; It sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I saunter over, groaning as I push past them and through the doors without so much as a glance back to watch Cole's car speed out of the parking lot. "Hey lighten up" Hornball says, the simple sound of his voice makes me blind with rage.

"Don't talk to me?" I snap. I ought to connect my fist with his face, I haven't forgotten that he's the reason I got shot in the first place.

Bryson, who is right at my heels, grumbles "Show some respect" whilst throwing me a look of contempt. The defiant spirit in me makes my eyes roll. I swipe the gun that awaits me on the counter then all five of us circle around to the booths.

"Okay" Bryson says, leaning against the wall as my practice doll is rolled to the forefront "show us what you're working with." I hardly ever hear him speak; he's always calm, always serious. He strikes me as the mature one of the bunch, he has a knack for evading all the jokes and boyish antics. Looking at him now makes me wonder what his specialty is. If Cole considers these people his partners they must all bring something valuable to the table.

I hold the gun with both hands, aim for the dummy and without much forethought, I shoot. BANG! the gun goes off. I hit the unfortunate humanoid figurine in the center of his chest.

"Not bad for a first timer" Bryson says as I turn to observe the shocked faces behind me. The compliment gives me a boost of confidence. I twirl the gun around my index finger while giving the men a boastful smirk.

Bryson continues "But, Cole wants you to shoot the head, is that where you were aiming?" He asks.

I nod.

"Okay, first things first, lets fix your grip" he says. "You want to make sure your forearm is aligned with the gun. Your grip is too wide, and your compensating with the second hand, that wont help with your aim" Demonstrating what he means.

"Now try again" The gun is tossed back into my sweaty palms.

I shoot again, implementing what I've just learned. This time I hit the dummy right in the neck.

"Oooh" the men chorus behind me. I roll my eyes for show but in truth I can't contain my grin. Maybe this won't be so bad after all.

"Okay, that was better" Kai says, getting up to to get a better look. "Try this stance" he says, squatting down to shift my feet in a front-to-back position. "This way you're not tempted to lock your knees. "And make sure you don't over extend your arms, your shoulders should be relaxed".

I loosen my back and shoulder muscles, letting out a nervous exhale, I aim... and then shoot.

BANG!

The bullet just barely misses the side of the Dummy's head.

"Try this." I hear Hornball say. "Keep that stance, but shift your weight a little forward to help absorb some of the shock, even subtle movement can throw off your aim".

I take a deep breath and position myself once again, taking into account all the advice that was given to me.

BANG! I shoot and hit the dummy right in the middle of the forehead. The guys erupt in cheers. I bury my reddening face in my palms to muffle my own laughter as I shamelessly soak up all the praise. All this attention... it's no good for the ego.