55| Ice Melts

٥٥٥
Vote
Share
Comment
٥٥٥

"Last time I saw you, you lied to me about where you were going, you promised me you'd come back, but you never did, and then I found out you were on vacation with the same person you came here to get away from."

He gives me the rundown. But I already know what I did to him.

"I'm sorry" I croak.

He sighs, shakes his head. "So what happened now?"

He's handed me a cup with warm tea. A soft blanket is wrapped around my shoulders. I'm sure I look feral with all the leaves and twigs in my hair, but I don't care. My eyes stay plastered to the floor, shivers climb up and down my back reducing me to a trembling mess.

"He found out" I'm almost whispering. The words make tears appear in my eyes again. I don't bother wiping them, there's no use, they'll just keep coming anyway.

"You mean-?" He says.

I nod "About everything"

I bear down on my lip. The words burn my throat like I've taken a bite out of Hades' plate

He doesn't ask any more questions, and I'm grateful for that. I stare off into the distance, my mind racing just as fast as my heart, and every time I think of him, every part of me drowns.

The flimsy living room curtain filters in white light. It's day time but my mind is trapped in darkness. My fingers scratch against the soft microfiber of the couch. Nolan regards me with pity. I know what he must be thinking. He doesn't understand.

Brent's words play in my head over and over. What's the worst thing he said? Maybe Cole will still forgive me. No, he knows about Kai, he'll never forgive me.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Nolan asks, he squints concerned eyes at me.

"Hm?" I reply. It's all I can manage, my brain is elsewhere.

"Ava, you should know I'm leaving tomorrow" He sits next to me on the couch "I'm going back to Japan to live with my dad, this town isn't safe anymore."

He's got my attention now "tomorrow?" I echo

"Maybe you can come" he smiles warmly.

It's only now that I notice the suitcases neatly perched beside the front steps.

Japan.

The thought of it makes me rub the back of my neck. I often forget about the tattoo hiding back there. How did things go so wrong so fast? There's a familiar pinch in my eyes, I blink hard and more tears stream down my face.

"I have to go see him," I say.

Nolan's hand smacks over his face, he squeezes his temples, he groans "You're lucky to be alive as it is."

"You don't get it" I whisper. No one gets it. He's all I have, he's all I care about. I hate myself for hurting him this way. I have to make him understand. He has to know, I'm sorry.

"Well, I can't stop you so..." he shrugs.

I rub my puffy face, it feels scorching hot yet my fingers still tremble.

"Maybe, I'll get you a ticket anyway, I'm leaving tomorrow evening at eight, so if you don't show up by then, I won't be here, you know, in case."

I nod, giving him a forced smile. I understand what he's telling me. If I don't show up tomorrow, he won't be here to be my rebound anymore. I'll be all on my own.