7| Focus

٥٥٥
Vote
Share
Comment
٥٥٥

Coles Point of View

The morning sun creeps behind my curtains creating a wave of fuzzy orange light in the room. It's rare for me to sleep at night, and whenever I do, it always takes me several minutes to come to full awareness in the morning.

I admire Ava as she sleeps peacefully, her chest rising and falling in even patterns. Why can I never be that peaceful?

Her beauty is enthralling. It creates bursts of light in the world around her no matter how hard she tries to hide it. It's the small quirky things about her that are most of all beautiful. Like the tiny little freckles that decorate her rosy cheeks. Like the way her cupids bow dips, shaping her plump lips into a rounded out heart. Like the way she talks so quiet and wispy, like music on a cool summer evening.

I hate pretty girls. I think to myself as I slowly get off the bed.

They're nothing but a distraction and even worse; a weakness. They're okay for temporary fun, but it's the ones that take over your thoughts for hours on end, the ones that make you want to change, the ones that make you earn their love and trust... those are the dangerous ones. The ones like Ava.

I can already see myself, slowly being sucked into her trap. The first sign is always possessiveness. That extreme jealousy I experience when I first start catching feelings. And then I start to loosen up on how harsh I am, one by one letting more and more things slide. Next comes the craving, and of course the lust; for their touch and for their affection. The thought of it makes me cringe.

I vowed long ago to never let a pretty girl break down my walls. I avoid love like the plague. After all love is a disease too, a severe mental disorder that comes in quiet as night. It robs people of their sanity, rendering them broken and unable to function as rational individuals. The worst part is: those that suffer from it don't even realize what's happening. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Fortunately I've been well trained when it comes to this illness, I know how to stop it right in its tracks.

I quickly pull a black Hoodie over my head, followed by a pair of black jeans. It's best I leave before Ava wakes. If she were to lure me back into her embrace with those dazzling almond shaped eyes of hers, i'd be as good as gone. The thought of her lashes; long as the winter and as dark as its night, fluttering as she stares into my eyes, it ignites butterflies in the pit of my stomach. The sensation nearly makes me hurl.

My mind flashes back to the feeling of her soft curves caving underneath my touch. Her small frame against mine, all her warmth; safe in my arms. It felt so good, knowing that in those moments, I had her all to myself... too good.

I squeeze my eyes shut, forcing the memory away! Shit! I've got it bad. There are far more important things going on. I can't have my mind running wild like this. I need to stay focused.

I speed down the street to the gang house. The place is unusually silent. I navigate through the hallways, to the auditorium where 150 members of my gang await me. The room falls silent. I scan the crowd with a scowl.

The five female members of the gang sit at the very front of the room, watching me as I make my way to the center. Of the over 50 women that have joined my gang in the past few years only six remain. No woman has managed to last longer than three years. They're all either dead, or hiding out, dreading the day that I find them. Ava's the only one missing. I wonder how long she'll last. She's delicate but resilient, she has real potential.

My frown deepens when I realize that I'm once again getting distracted.

I pinch the bridge of my nose in frustration before beginning to speak. "The opposition is getting bold" I say "they've started selling on prohibited grounds, and now they're trespassing into our territories."