Chapter 5

August

*

"Thank you fo' the dinna' Ms.Chrissy it was really good." I said bringin' my plate in the kitchen. "Thank you baby, but Aulani actually made everything. I just did the string beans." She smiled while takin' the plate from me. This lady ain't slick. I turned my attention to Aulani, who was rollin' her eyes.

"Thanks fo' the dinna' Aulani." I winked. She blushed, but tried to cover it up. "Oop I think I hear Tamia calling me." Chrissy ran outta the kitchen after hearin' nothin'.

"You welcome." She continued to wash the dishes. I rolled my sleeves up and helped her. "Yung you didn't have to help." She tried to step in front of me. "Nah ma' it's cool. I wanna help." She nodded.

"You know you ain't gotta call me Yung." She looked at me literally, she had to stand at, at least 5'5. "You can call me August. You lucky cause not too many people call me dat." She blushed, but covered her face. "Stop doin' that ma' let me see ya face. Ya too beautiful to cover it up." She nodded and lifted her head up.

I studied her face for the first time. Seein' how beautiful she actually was. We ain't even under good light, but she glowin' , this girl is naturally gorgeous.

"Uhh August, stop staring

"Uhh August, stop staring." She snapped me outta my trance. "My fault." I shook my head and helped her with the rest of the dishes. When we finished, Derrel lil ass bopped into the kitchen. "You ready nigga?" I nodded. "Yeah man I'll be out there." I waved him off and turned my attention back to Aulani. "So like Lani, can I call you dat?"

"Mmh." She nodded and began to pick her nails. I guess lil mama was nervous. I took my index finger and lifted her head. "Stop lookin' dahn ma'. Let me take you onna date and show ya how it's supposed to be done." She playfully rolled her eyes.

"Stop coming for Brandon." We laughed together. "Fo' real though let me take you out." She looked up to the sky like she was thinkin'. Hurry up girl I ain't boutta waste my time foolin' with you.

"Sure I'll go, but some time after Thanksgiving." I nodded. "Aight bet." I was about to walk away, but I just remembered Ion got her number.

"What you coming back for?" She arched an eyebrow. "Jus' ya number."

"Oh." She said givin' me her phone. I put my number in and made sure to send myself a text message so I could save hers. "Aight ma'."

"Bye August."

*

Aulani

After August left, my mother walked back into the kitchen. "You ain't slick mama." She tried to look confused and clueless. "What are you referring to?"