Chapter 47 : The confession

Amanda's POV

After bidding farewell to my family, I consumed an aspirin. My head hurt from over thinking. I rested for a while by burying my head on the pillow. It was almost 1 pm. My birthday happened to be a full package of surprises. I was scared, because it wasn't over yet.

When my phone vibrated, I checked it and realized that it was an unknown number. I thought for a while and picked it up after 3 rings. There was complete silence on the other side of the phone. My innumerable 'hello's' were unanswered.

The line got disconnected so I assumed that it was a wrong number. But suddenly, I got a call from the same number. I picked it again instinctively. "If you're not interested in talking with me then please don't call and waste my time", I ranted towards the person on the other side of the phone.

Was it Mr. Reynolds? Considering the fact that silence was his special talent. "Is it you Mr. Reynolds?" I interrogated annoyed.

"Happy birthday to you

Happy birthday to you

Happy birthday dear Amanda

Happy birthday to you"

It felt like my word collapsed when I heard the voice. It wasn't just of a familiar person but also was from someone whose name scared the shit out of me. My hands shivered and so did its grip over my phone. My tongue felt numb, it felt like I lost words and was unable to speak.

"You", I broke the silence and accepted the situation with equanimity. Without any doubt, anyone could guess that who was on the other side of the phone. It was James, the only person who haunted me, even with my eyes open.

"Miss me? Baby girl" I flinched so hard on hearing 'baby girl'. It scared the shit out me.

I practiced silence for a while and answered "Why-What-How- I mean Why did I- I mean you called me", I stammered with fear. Agitation could be felt in my voice.

Fixing my broken voice, gathering all the courage which was left within me, I heard him "I want to meet you. Gift you. Kiss you"

I was taken aback by his voice. He continued "I know you hate Aaron. Why not team with me instead? I'll wait for your call baby girl. I have a proper revenge plan ready on the go", he cancelled the phone instinctively. My mind couldn't stop but think about the lines he said which was more or less of an offer.

James literally was a swine. He couldn't stop playing dirty with the man who once considered him as a brother. My heart raced and his words echoed in my ears. I took a sip of water to calm myself down. I rested my ass on the bed and examined the number from which he called. To my discontent, the number was unavailable. The only thing which could be seen was the prefixed country code.

Suddenly, a thought escaped my mind. How was James aware of the fact that I hated Mr. Reynolds? Was someone spying on us? I made a list of people who worked here in my mind. Aunt Red topped the list but it was certain that she wouldn't be the one.

I had to find out the person who was playing a double game with us but first I had to alarm Mr. Reynolds regarding the phone call. It was very clear that I had to keep the 'Hate Game' alive.

What if James came after me again? What if I couldn't confess the love I was dying to express since a long time? What if I could never meet him again? Innumerable questions which started with 'what ifs' started arising in my mind.

I was pretty sure about one thing today. By hook or by crook, I was going to disgorge the words out of my mouth. I knew that he loved me too.

After putting on a decent one piece dress, I rushed downstairs. I reached towards the main gate of the house where I was blocked by two security men. "Please take me Reynolds's Associations", I literally begged them. I was more cautious than ever, which is why I decided to take the men along with me.