Chapter nine

Pic: Olivia (but imagine her with straight hair)

We could hear Jack's sword hitting the Hound every once in a while. The sound was high-pitched and hurt my ears. Adrenaline was pumping through my body even though I was not fighting any more. My body was aching, and I knew I would be asleep as soon as my head would touch the pillow. It would, however, be a long time before I would go to bed.

We were almost at The Gate, when Cameron started speaking, "Damn, we kicked some but out there."

I was a bit surprised, because I did not see this fight as a victory. We did not even do any real damage to that thing.

"Yeah."

"Hey, lighten up. It was our first real fight ever and it was against a Frost Hound. Even though Jack came to our rescue, I think we did a good job."

"You did." I sent him a small smile. He had been good, and I thought he deserved to know so.

I was a bit disappointed in myself. I was the Son of Protection and I was barely able to protect other people, let alone myself. What kind of king would I be if I could not do what I was born to do? My father would be very disappointed in me if he found out I had failed.

I had to stop thinking these bad thoughts, now was not the time. I had a chance to show my worth now. I had to get us safe and I had to find Olivia, so she could save the wounded girl I was carrying.

Her blood was all over me and I hoped we would not be too late.

***

As we got through The Gate a lot of heads turned our way. It only happened on rare occasions that someone passed through The Gate, therefore we drew a lot of attention to ourselves.

Everyone had stopped what they were doing to stare at us. They knew she was the reason for all the stir. Blood was still dripping from her. The girls and even some guys tried holding back small whimpers at the sight.

"What are you all waiting for?" Cam yelled, "Get inside now! It's an order." Cameron did, of course, not have the authority to make them do anything, but no one seemed to mind. Soon they realised he was right and continued hurrying inside.

Every time something dangerous occurred everyone had to go to the Safety Champers. According to the School's protocol it was a necessity even if it was just a small emergency. The Safety Champers was my least favourite place in the whole universe. It was four medium rooms placed side by side in the cellar of the school. They were dark and smelled like a rotten corpse. Over the years I had been there quite a few times and we often had to stay there for hours at a time.

Cameron looked at me, "Kyle, let's split up. If you head to the nurse, I'll find Olivia."

"Alright, just hurry."

"I will."

Before Cameron ran off to find Oliva he placed my sword back in its place in my belt.

"Good luck, Pretty Face."

"You too, Cam."

As I made my way through the corridors of the school, the ones who had not made it to the cellar yet, could not help but stare. I sent some an angry look but choose to ignore them in the end. I did not have the time right now.

I felt movement coming from my arms. I looked down and saw that the girl was slowly awakening. She moaned in pain and slowly moved her head from side to side. Her eyes flickered and started opening. I protectively tightened my hold on her.

"It's okay. You'll be alright, I promise."

She looked at me for a second and suddenly started screaming. I got so shocked I dropped her. Yes, dropped her and as if she was not in enough pain already.

"Shit."

My first reaction was to look around and see if anybody had seen it. To my relief the hallways were clear. It was a stupid thing to do, I should only have my attention on her. She had stopped screaming as soon as she hit the floor. Her eyes had started closing again.

"No, not good, not good."

I started panicking.

"Hey, keep your eyes open. Can you do that for me?"

I placed my hand on her cheek and slowly moved some of her hair behind her ear. I tried to be careful, so I would not hurt her ... again.

The nurse's office was not far from here, but if I could not get us there fast enough it did not matter. I placed her in my arms again this time holding her a little bit firmer.

I whispered in her ear that everything was going to be okay and that she was safe now. I did not know if she could hear me, but it felt reassuring to say it out loud.

**

It means the world to me that I almost have 200 reads! thank you!

Personally one of my favorites: 

Dickens: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times
Schrödinger: Nice, nice