Chapter two

I woke up not long after. I was still on the ground, slipping in and out of conciseness. I heard the sound of heavy breathing, but soon found out much to my dismay that it was not coming from a human or an ordinary animal.

No, it was coming from a big monster standing above me. It was watching me intensely and I could not help but wonder why it did not attack me. I knew my time had come, when it started leaning down slowly. I closed my eyes once again and waited. I had given up, accepting my fate.

As it got closer and closer the air around me started getting colder. It was as if it turned to ice. I knew it was impossible, we were in June after all. None of this made any sense.

I had been lying on the ground for so long that I could not help but wonder, once again, if this was all just a bad dream. It could simply not be real.

I could still hear the monster breathe above me and I was getting more and more confused every second. I was sure it would have eaten me by now, why else would it be chasing me?

Maybe it was just like the documentary I saw last week. I had not given it a lot of thought at that time, but it seemed to come in handy now. It had taught me that some murders only killed their victims while having eye contact with them. They refused to kill them without seeing the light disappear from their eyes. Creepy, I know.

I considered my options; crawl away slowly with my eyes closed, while hoping it was just like in the documentary and it simply refused to kill me, due to the lack of eye contact. Or I could simply open my eyes and see if it would kill me. I chose the latter.

Opening my eyes, I was met by my own reflection. I could see myself in the monster's pitch black eyes.

I slowly lifted myself up so I was leaning back on my hands. I did it in slow motion, so I did not startle the monster. I tried moving my foot in different ways. I was trying to get it out of the root.

In the end I succeed, which resulted in a little feeling of relief and hope. I was a bit closer to finally getting out of the root. Standing up was the next step, one that may be the last and lethal one.

I got up while still holding eye contact. I was gaining hope at the speed of light, even though I still had not stood up completely, I was a lot closer to getting out of this alive than I had been before.

It was a weird situation; the monster did not do anything and neither did I. I did not know if it was going to kill me or just let me be. I had nowhere to go so I could not help but wonder how long we going to be standing like this.

I decided to slowly raise my hands in front of me, showing that I surrendered, while slowly backing away. I got a couple of steps away, humping on my bad foot, before it made a growling sound. I immediately stopped and knew my idea had not worked. A big sigh left my mouth and my head fell to the side. I was getting tired of this game and pretty frustrated of my lack of choices.

Before I had time to think or react my body started moving, I moved as quick as I possibly could in my state. Finding the very last bit of strength in me, I turned around and started sprinting.

It felt like I was watching everything happen from above; how I started running all of a sudden, how the monster quickly caught up, how I looked when I noticed a gigantic gate, with lots of people on the other side, how I screamed when I realized I was saved, and lastly how all hope was gone when I fell, feeling a sudden and intense pain in my shoulder, and not long after crashing to the ground.

**

Hope you are enjoying it so far!

The totally funny joke of today:

Q: Why were the teacher's eyes crossed?

A: She couldn't control her pupils.