Chapter thirty-three

Pic: we all know what is going to happen now!

I had let Kyle believe that I wouldn't try to escape.

Originally, I had planned to run as soon as he left my room but decided against it.

I would wait until it got dark instead.

When the sky would turn black and the sun would be long gone, then I would make my exit.

I couldn't help but feel a little sad, that I wouldn't see, speak or interact with my new friends here.

However, the thought of my father sitting helpless at home and mourning his daughter, made my heart ache. It seemed as an undeserved fate, him being alone, not knowing if his daughter was alive or not.

He couldn't bear to lose me also, not with my mother being gone.

He needed me.

And I would come back to him.

***

As the sun set, the world outside became quiet.

It was way past curfew; hence no one was outdoor.

My bag had been packed for a few hours, but I was starting to chicken out.

What if someone caught me?

I would be in so much trouble.

Maybe they would assign someone to watch me or follow me around all the time. Maybe they would lock me inside the school or the cabins at night.

A panicking feeling spread from the pit of my stomach.

I tried reminding myself that I had to reach my father.

I hadn't been allowed to phone my father, because he would demand to know where I was. The headmaster wouldn't let me speak to him for that reason.

They didn't leave me any other choice than escaping.

I tied my shoes tightly and pulled the hood on my jacked partly over my face to hide.

Silently, I tiptoed out of my room and made it to the front door. I could hear Olivia's laughter from her room and another voice. Probably Cameron's.

Hoping they wouldn't notice me, I snuck out.

So far, so good.

I had no experience with sneaking around, but I had seen many action movies and read a good share of spy books.

With a little faith and a lot of luck, I would be able to make it out of here and find my father.

I made my way slowly, but surely, towards The Gate by staying close to the cabins as to avoid the open space between them. I would be easy to spot if I didn't stay in the shadows.

Just as I was a good distance from the cabins a wailing siren sounded. It was ear-defining and I literally jumped a few feet in surprise.

They were coming for me. 

I started running, not thinking about staying hidden anymore.

I ran as fast as my feet could carry me.

I had tried stumbling in a situation like this before and I knew how that ended: Almost getting eaten by a hound.

Not making the same mistake twice.

My heart was beating wildly and irregularly. It almost hurt, but my 'Fight or Flight'-instinct had kicked in, there was no time to think.

My head was pounding, and I could hear the blood rush in my ears.

From the distance I heard Olivia scream my name. She sounded truly terrified.

I increased my speed.

My fast running now turned to full out sprinting.

It was like in one of those nightmares, where you dream that you are being chased and no matter how hard you try, you can simply not get away. This was one of those moments.

Only it wasn't a nightmare.

And this place wasn't a dream.

"WE MUST GO, EVERYONE" This time Kyle was the one yelling. I could barely hear his voice over the sound of multiple feet hitting the ground. It seemed every pupil at the school had started running.

Only, they weren't running towards me, trying to catch me. Instead, they were running towards the school.

As I crossed path with some of them I got a look at their faces: none of them were contracted in terror, actually, they all looked rather calm. And here I was, sweating a lake and thinking I was chased.

Kyle must have spotted me easily in the big crowd, because I was going in a different direction than the others.

"AMELIA! What the hell are you doing? GET BACK HERE!"

I tore my eyes off of him.

This was my chance to get out and I didn't dare look back.

I knew he was following me and I didn't want to see his disappointed eyes.

I was closing in on The Gate, my way out, when I saw the glow of gold getting stronger and stronger behind me.

When the glow almost blinded me, as thick as fog, a pair of arms rapped around me, and I got knocked down.

I landed face-first in the muddy ground.

I was still held down by my attacker and, due to the high speed I had been running in, we rolled around together numerous times.

As we stilled, I got a good look at the person, whom was now lying on top of me.

It was Kyle.

Out of breath I said: "You are blinding me." And he was. I had never seen his veins lighting that bright. It was both mesmerizing and frightening.

Kyle stood up abruptly. "What is the matter with you?! Do you have some kind of death wish?" 

Before I got to defend myself, Kyle closed his left hand around my upper arm and pulled me alongside of him.

I tried making my body as heavy as possible, but he was way too big and strong for it to have any impact.

"Would you stop acting like a child, when I am trying to get you to safety?"

I tried pulling my arm out of his grip, which resulted in him tightening his fingers even more.

He seemed to have reached his limit, no longer wanting to put up with me. The next action of his surprised me.

He simply let out a frustrated grunt and then slung me over his shoulder.

Then he began running at an alarmingly high speed, much faster than humanly possible.

"Kyle, put me down! I want to go home, and I told you that you couldn't stop me!"

"Damn it, Ammi! Didn't you hear the warning bells? We are under attack!"

"What?" I said stunned.

I stopped trying to get out of his strong hold, letting him carry me without fighting against him.

**

My heart was beating like crazy, when I wrote this. I got really carried away in the action!

What about you guys?

As for the joke:

I was trying to catch some fog earlier, but I mist.