Chapter twenty-six

"I just have to call Emma quickly," Kyle said, when we walked inside.

"Alright."

He went into the bathroom and closed the door. It did not help much, because I could hear him clearly. He was explaining that he was doing a school project with me, and that that was it. Nothing was going to happen between us, he promised her. 'What kind of relationship is it, if you can't even bring someone home to do homework, without the other thinking you are cheating?' I knew they were together and I had no intention on ruining it for them.

I decided to go outside for a moment, to give him some privacy. I sat on the steps to the front door. It was getting cold outside and soon it would be winter. I could not see my own breath, so it was not freezing, but it sure felt like it.

When Kyle came outside to find me ten minutes later my hands were blue, and I was shaking.

"What are you doing outside?" He almost yelled at me.

"Calm down, I just wanted to give you some privacy. I could hear everything through the bathroom door."

"I appreciate it, but you could at least have worn a jacket. It is too cold to be outside without one."

"I know, but I forgot it inside and I did not want to get it, because it would feel like an intrusion of your privacy." 

"Let's just get you inside. I think we have some blankets you can borrow."

Soon I was wrapped in two blankets and we started on our project. It was about how gods were born. I found it interesting and Kyle looked passionate, when he taught me things about the subject.

He explained that each god like himself has an egg. I began laughing at this. I said that only females' as eggs.

"You are absolutely wrong. Yes, if we look at humans and animals, it is the females who produces eggs. Men don't. However, the same doesn't apply for the gods. Every god as an egg. It is a little glowing box at the size of a dice. The colour of the glow depends on your powers. For example, Cam's box will glow blue, just like his hands did, when he controlled the water. You saw that, so you know it is true."

I nodded, it was true. I had seen how Cameron's hands began glowing, when he made the water rise.

Kyle continued, "Every god only has one box. We must choose a human, we want to give it to. The human will eat it, then get pregnant with our baby. A male god will get a male decedent; likewise, will a female get a female. That is how it always have been."

"What if you decide not to give it to a human? Or if you lose it? What if you don't find a human you want to give it to?"

"That was a lot of questions at once. Well, if a god in some case doesn't give their box to a human and dies, nothing bad will happen. There has been a few cases of this. What happens is that, thirty days after the gods death, a random human will on their 16th birthday become a god."

"So that could happen to anyone?"

"Yeah, anyone turning sixteen on the thirtieth day."

"That is super cool, actually."

"In some cases, it goes wrong, though. My great grandpa, who died for about a to-thousand years ago knew this guy called Gabriel and he was the King of the Wind."

"Is that Carter's great grandpa? They have the same title."

"Yes, it is. He found a human he saw fit to carry his child, so he flew down to her and gave her his egg. Her name was Maria. She could not keep a secret. She told everyone what had happened. The gods at that time were not pleased with the slight reveal. They took it out on the child, which is the reason he ended up being crucified. I am sure Carter can tell you more about this than I can. It is a tragic story, which we have learned from."

"Wow, I can't imagine the pain they must all have gone through."

"Me neither."

**

Short chapter, sorry!

Therefore, I bring you an awesome joke:

I dig, you dig, she dig, we dig, you dig...the poem may not be beautiful, but it's certainly very deep.