Chapter seven

Pic: Forgot to show you how Emma looks :)

We were ten feet away from The Gate when an arm stopped me mid-run.

"What do you think you are doing? Are you crazy? You know the rules: under no circumstances are you allowed to go through The Gate."

"Sir, you can't stop me. It's my duty as the Son of Protection. Now, let me go, please."

"I can't and won't allow it."

I gave Cameron a look and I knew he understood what I meant.

"Look! What's that over there?"

It was an old trick, but Jack fell for it. When Jack looked the direction that Cameron pointed we ran as fast as our legs could carry us. We had wasted too much time getting ready. It felt like hours had gone by since we heard the scream and I feared we wouldn't make it to the girl in time.

We slowed down a bit when we were right in front of The Gate.

"You know you don't have to come with me if you don't want to, right?"

"Hey, I'll follow you to the end of the universe and I know you would do the exact same thing for me."

I sent him a grateful smile and was about to respond when he shook his head at me.

"Don't start getting all sappy with me. We have to save this girl. You can tell me how much you love me when this is over, Pretty Face."

"Let's go then."

We each took a deep breath and went through The Gate for the first time.

Nothing special happened, really. No explosions or anything. I do not know what I excepted to happen, but it was definitely more than this. Through the years we had been told a lot of frightening cock-and-bull stories. None of them turned out to be true. The only difference between the two sides of The Gate was that on the inside you are safe from everything and everyone, on the outside, you are not protected and you could be seen by humans.

I took a good look at The Gate when we went through. I had always been grateful for its protection. It was built for situations exactly like this one.

No one except for gods could get through it, with one exception of course. Madelyn; Queen of the Cold. She had gotten banned decades ago and because of her none of the future Ice Queens would get through either.

All of the teachers at KSSFR were given a special crystal, often borne around their necks. The teachers were not gods; therefore, they needed the crystals, which made them able to get through The Gate.

The Gate was a beautiful sight with its incredible height of 32 feet. Twining plants slung around it making it look like something taken straight out of a fairy tale. Gold figures were drawn all over it. I had not gotten the chance to look closely at them all yet, but I recognised some of them. The biggest of them all was of my father. He was illustrated with his armour on and a confident smile playing on his lips. Another was of Cam's father holding his trident.

I moved my attention from The Gate and looked forward.

I spotted the Frost Hound and the girl almost instantly, as did Cameron. I did not get tired right away as we rushed towards them, and suddenly I was thankful for dragging Cameron out for morning runs.

The girl was standing in the corn on the field it looked like she was trying to calm the Hound down or talk to it. The action seemed absurd to me. Did she not realise the danger she was in? She must have, because she started backing away from the Hound. Surprising both Cameron and I and surly also the Hound, she turned around in a matter of seconds and started running towards us.

I had never seen her before and it surprised me, because every child of a god where supposed to be on the other side of The Gate, being kept safe by the force field. She had to have god blood running through her veins or she wouldn't be able to see the Frost Hound. So, who was she? I would have to ask her when this is all over and everyone is safe.

The Hound reacted faster than us already hot in her heals when we were at least 200 yards away. I just hoped we would make it to her in time. The girl finally seemed to notice The Gate and our school. She must have been a bit shocked or maybe relieved, because she let out a scream that sounded somewhat hopeful.

As soon as she slowed down I knew she had made a mistake by doing so. Even though we were determined to save her life, the Hound were closer to her and we would not get there on time, especially if she slowed down. The Frost Hound caught up to her.

We were only a hundred yards from them when the frightening monster opened its big mouth. Its sharp teeth were revealed as soon as it opened its giant mouth. It looked like it was taken out of our biology book. It almost seemed like something taken out of one of those stupid cartoons the humans watch. None of us had ever seen a Frost Hound in real life before and only a few of the teachers knew someone who lived to tell about it.

Its teeth plunged into her right shoulder and before even getting a scream out she fell to the ground limp as a doll.

"Cameron!" I screamed while increasing my speed, even though, I did not think it was possible. I had no idea why I screamed. What could he do? We were still at least fifty yards from them.

"Get your sword ready, Kyle! You go left, and I'll go right."

"Got it!"

"You ready?"

"Always."

**

:)) 

Yesss new update!

And, of course, the joke:

Librarian: can I check you out?
Me: sure [spins around]
Librarian: I meant your book
Me: oh yea, that makes way more sense