Chapter thirty-six

Pic: Amelia :D

Wish I could play the guitar! :(

Video: Bon Iver - Skinny love (you might have heard it with Birdy)

The loud music could be heard long before the bon fire was visible. Tara started getting a bit jumpy, but I reassuringly took her hand, thinking she needed the support.

I spotted Kyle immediately, his right arm around Emma. He was speaking with Cameron, whom had his head thrown back in laughter. Olivia was standing beside him with a loving look on her face.

Tara noticed my attention was drifting from her to someone else. She looked in the same direction as I did and said softly: "We don't have to go over there if you don't want to."

"No, it is okay, they are your friends and hopefully still mine too."

"I am sure they still like you, don't worry."

"Except Emma."

"Yeah, but Emma doesn't like anyone except Kyle."

"I don't think anyone like her except Kyle." I said in a hushed voice.

Tara let out a big laugh attracting attention from a few bystanders, including Olivia, who looked over and motioned us to come her way.

Still holding my hand, Tara dragged me over to the group. My hands started getting sweaty and I nervously looked at my feet. I let go of Tara's hand, but she didn't comment on it.

"Hey guys!" Tara said smiling at the group. I looked up, not wanting to be rude. They all replied with small hey back, their eyes not leaving me.

"Hi." I muttered.

No one answered me. I felt extremely uncomfortable and wanted to go back to my cabin, hiding under my duvet.

Kyle slowly unwrapped his arm from around Emma and walked towards me.

What was he doing?

Emma didn't look pleased at all.

Kyle slowly wrapped his arms around me, as if afraid I would run away. Again.

I didn't.

I let him embrace me and leaned into him. "I am sorry." He said, only for me to hear.

"I am sorry, too." I said, not knowing if he could hear me, my voice getting muffled by his broad chest.

"I know."

After letting go of me again, somehow, I knew our friendship would survive this.

Still standing close to him, I said: "I am sorry I disappointed you. I didn't mean to, but the thought of my father-" I couldn't continue, getting choked up and my voice breaking at the end.

"I understand." He said simply, and a huge weight lifted off from my chest.

Someone cleared their throat behind Kyle and he turned around to a not so pleased girlfriend, with her hands on her hips. Someone was in trouble.

Cameron didn't look satisfied either, but I didn't understand what his problem was.

Olivia, however, had a delighted smile on her face.

We stood for a while talking and the conversation flowed more and more easily. I was getting accepted as part of the group and it felt wonderful.

 Our conversation got interrupted, when a guitar started playing and everyone gathered around the fire. We all sat down on the sand. There were too many pupils to sit around the fire, therefore, some sat a little further away.

Our small group were sitting close enough to the fire to feel its heat. Tara and I were seated in the middle, Kyle and Emma beside me, Cameron and Olivia beside Tara.

The guitar went from person to person, all of them singing astonishingly. My favorite song so far had been sung by a tall guy with the softest voice. It had been remarkable, and it surprised me that everyone was singing songs from the human world.

So far there had been a few with Arianna Grande, one with Katy Perry and some I didn't recognize.

After a few songs, Tara suddenly stood up. I looked at her in astonishment. "Are you going to sing? I didn't know you loved singing, I have never heard you sing before."

To which she replied with a big smirk: "I am not going to sing, silly. You are."

"Absolutely not." I said crossing my arms, embarrassed that she would even propose it.

"I have heard you sing in the shower, Amelia, you are an amazing singer and you are going to sing. You don't have a choice."

I sighed in defeat, maybe secretly wanting to sing. I had never really gotten the chance to sing in front of an audience, but there was a first time for everything.

'Here goes nothing.' I though, accepting the guitar, when Tara handed it to me.

I searched my brain for song I could the lyrics for. At last I decided to go with 'Skinny love' by Bon Iver. It had a great guitar and a catchy melody. It was about a failed relationship and the regret that stems from it.

It had always been a personal song for me, because my father and mother used to love singing it together. They had been in a relationship for five years and then it had ended for a few months. However, they soon realized they couldn't live without each other.

After her death my father and I would sing it together to remember her.

I started softly strumming the intro, tears welling in my eyes.

"Come on, skinny love, just last the year

Pour a little salt, we were never here

I felt a few tears slip from my eyes but didn't try wiping them away.

"My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my

Staring at the sink of blood and crushed veneer

I tell my love to wreck it all"

I head a click from a phone, but didn't open my eyes to see, whom had taken a picture.

"Cut out all the ropes and let me fall

My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my

Right in the moment this order's tall"

There was completely silent as I sang the song to an end.

When I played the last strings, not a breath could be heard.

But as soon as I was done and opened my eyes, the applause started.

"That was amazing!" Tara exclaimed.

I knew I was blushing, but their reactions felt wonderful.

Kyle's hand touched my shoulder and at looked at him. He had a warm look in his eyes.

"Truly beautiful." He said, and I wondered if he meant me or the song.

**

I wish I knew a guy like Kyle, seriously!

This amazing joke for today:

How do you organize a fantastic space party? You planet.