Chapter eight

Pic: made this cover, what du you think? :D

Twenty yards away and my legs were getting tired. I pushed myself as hard as I could. The distance remaining between us got smaller for every passing second. The sword felt warm in my hand and I realised I was squeezing it tightly. I must admit I was scared. A Frost Hound was one of the most dangerous creatures a man could ever come across and here one was standing right in front of me.

The Hound was standing over her looking down on her. She was lying face down on the ground like someone had pushed her over. The ground around her was painted red by her blood.

"She must be a god, or she would not be able to see the Frost Hound, so how can she be bleeding?" A distressful Cameron asked no one in general.

"She will die if we don't do anything."

I didn't know what to answer.

It should not be possible for a god to bleed, at least not for any over 16. I knew Cameron was right; we had to do something, or she would have no chance of surviving.

It got colder the closer we came to the Hound. Cameron and I were yelling different ideas to each other about how we were going to handle the situation. It soon got the Hound's attention and it raised its cold stare from the girl and onto us. Its mouth drew back in a snarl. An unearthly sound cut through the air. It chanced position, preparing to fight. The long icicles on its back grew out to be even longer. The Frost Hound's big, black eyes appeared to grow even darker.

We slowed down while watching its every move until finally stopping in front of it. The girl was still lying on the ground. She had not moved since she got bitten and fell.

I could hear Jack yelling in the background, but I had no time to concentrate on what he was saying, because just then the Hound barked loudly at us. With each exhalation small, sharp ice crystals came out of its mouth and hit us. It did not hurt, since they were too small to make a serious impact. The only effect its cold breath had on us was the steady lowering of the temperature.

"On three."

"What happens on three?"

"One."

"Kyle, what happens on three?"

"Two."

"Kyle!"

"Three. Go!"

I started sprinting towards the Hounds. When Cameron realised what I was doing he also began running. Cameron ran right, and I ran left just like we agreed on.

I was the first to attack. I swung my sword as hard as I could. I hit its back making a few icicles break off, which only resulted in them crowing out again bigger than before. I got a few good hits in, but every time the damage seemed to disappear within seconds.

Over the hound's back I caught a glimpse of the top of Cameron's head. He was fighting as hard as I was and even then, we did not stand a chance. We had been fighting for what felt like hours, even days.

"I can't do this much longer, Cam."

"I know, me neither."

I will remember the heroic thing Cam did next forever.

"Go check on the girl, Kyle."

"Cam, there is no time for that right now."

"You have to, because there is no reason to keep fighting if she is dead."

Cameron placed himself between the Hound and us. He stood like a warrior: ready to fight. He had a determined look on his face. He would not let it pass him and hurt us. I turned my attention to the girl. I was kneeling beside her. I carefully lifted her head and put my ear by her mouth. She was still breathing.

"Thank, goodness." I sighed in relive. "Cam, she is alive. We have to get her away from here."

I looked back down at the girl and slowly turned her body over and scanned her body for injuries. I noticed her shoulder first; teeth marks covered it. Over the wound a thick layer of ice were slowly spreading to the rest of her body. It looked painful and it showed on her face. Her brows were scrunched in pain.

The Frost Hound started walking towards Cameron. For every step it took Cameron took a small step back. He was clearly scared. Sword in hand, slightly spread legs: he was ready for combat.

"Get away from there, you two!"

My head shot around, and an upset looking Jack was coming towards us quicker than I have ever seen anyone move. He was next to us in a matter of seconds. He shoved Cameron out of the way and took his place in front of the monster.

"Boys, you have to go now. I'll take care of this. Take the girl with you and find Olivia. She can help."

"But Jack..."

"GO!"

I was not happy to leave him here to fight alone, but I knew he had a bigger chance of surviving than Cameron and me.

"Take my sword so I can carry her."

Cameron did as I said and without my sword it was easier concentrating on carrying her. I put one of my arms under her legs and the other under her back. I lifted her up easily, since she was not heavy at all. Her head fell against my shoulder heavily. She was unconscious in my arms.

**

Cliffhanger! dun dunnnn dunnnnnn

A school joke is all you're going to get today:

Q: Why was the student's report card wet?

A: It was below C level!