Chapter 3

For years Petra had lived alone high up in the Ironspike mountains where no one dared to bother her. She avoided the rest of Runeterra like the plague for it seemed whenever she ventured off of her comfortable mountain she was badgered by recruiters seeking goons to fight on the Field of Justice. Petra very well could fight if she should choose too but her training was scarce and her combat knowledge was even worse. The only thing she had going for her was her immense power and short fuse.

When she was captured for reasons still unknown her lack of combat experience hindered her from escaping. While she was strung up and tortured Petra thought about how if she got out alive she would put forth effort in training and disciplining herself. She felt the consequence of weakness and she never, ever wanted to feel it again...

"What are you?" Petra asked one last time.

The Demonic being stretched, rolling it's neck in a wide circle then cracking it. "I am a product of the sentient Darkin weapon Rhaast. I have consumed this vessel and now live within it along with Kayn." It's red eyes glowed in the dimly lit room and kept Petra's full attention. "Kayn and I, though two separate entities, work quite well together." The being chuckled, running sharp fingers along the weapon on it's back.

"So you are not Kayn?" Petra asked, eyes still fluttering and adjusting to the room.

"No, I am not." It heaved, a hot breath steaming from it's mouth.

"Did you rescue me? Or did Kayn?" Petra was curious now, and learning the answer may give her more insight into the reason behind her savior.

"We decided to rescue you together." The Darkin paced about the room, glancing out the one and only window adjacent from the bed Petra still sat on.

"So you communicate with each other? And you both heard me and decided to play heroes?" She stood finally, moving towards the window herself. She still did not know where she had been taken.

"Yes, we talk frequently. Though when I have taken over this vessel Kayn tends to have a harder time speaking up." The demon let out a hearty laugh followed by a billow of smoke.

"So then why share?" She asked, pitch black eyes tracing the outside world. She seemed to be in Bilgewater. She had only been here once before but recognized the the moss covered architecture.

"Because the human Kayn gives me minor solace from my exhausting eternal existence and in exchange I make him unbelievably strong and immortal. Until I leave his body he can not die. And to be honest an eternity of boring, weak humans all who have been far too pathetic mentally and physically to wield the weapon made for a very unsatisfying life. Kayn is... different." The Darkin smiled, a mouth full of terrifying teeth parting for another bellowing laugh.

"I see..." She nodded, her fingertips toying with the edge of her thigh bandages ever so lightly. "Well I'd like Kayn back now." She affirmed, looking the Demon directly into it's blood red eyes. He was not too different from her, she could sense it.

"I did not know you were authorized to make such a demand, girl." He hissed, his tone turning sour quickly.

"I did not know an all powerful Demon cared to speak with me for so long..." Petra retorted, still holding her gaze with the Darkin.

Suddenly his body trembled and the rough red shell slowly began to shrink and lose it's pigment. His skin took on a more human-like pale ivory color and the horns atop his head fell into long black locks that reached down past his collar bones. His face flushed of almost all trace of the Darkin save for his left eye, which stayed glowing red. If it were not for this single inhuman feature Petra would have never guessed that this man was possessed by a Demon.

For a moment Kayn Buckled under the intensity of the transition back to his human body. He took a sharp inhale and then relaxed and stood up straight. He flexed his back and arms as if he had never been in this skin before, yet he acted as though he had never been anything other than himself.

"How are you feeling?" He finally spoke making brief eye contact while pulling his long locks back out of his face.

"I'm fine." Petra replied, studying Kayn's muscular body closely. He was quite fit, more so than other human men she had encountered. He must be extremely disciplined to keep his naturally frail human body in the shape it was in.

"You must be hungry." He grinned deviously as he caught Petra's eyes tracing his body.

"I am. Do you have something to eat?" She blushed, immediately trying to shift the subject elsewhere.

"I don't, but I know where we can find something to eat." He glanced out the window and back to Petra. "Follow me,"

Kayn finished gathering his composure and started for the door. Petra's heart sunk as the  realization set in that she now had to leave the safety of the room and journey out into a very busy part of Runeterra.

"Is everything ok?" Kayn spoke from outside the room's threshold.

"I still don't know why I was kidnapped." She began, racking all parts of her brain for a back up excuse. To her disdain, she really had no other scapegoat.

"I think I do, and you don't need to worry about it. You're with us now." He grinned before fleeing her line of sight, leaving an open door to a view of a bustling city under the glow of the moon.

EDITED 11/20/17