Chapter 34

Zed sat comfortably sprawled out upon a luxurious red lounge. His eyes traced the outline of the large window that over looked the ice laced city of Zaun. Just over the Ironspike mountains was like a whole other planet, where it was so cold and desolate that snow fell at least once a week. It reflected Zed's heart like a true mirror.

It was almost night fall, and by this time tomorrow Kayn would be in his grasp once more. This time he wouldn't be leaving.

The temple of The Order Of The Shadows was large and ornate. It sat at Zaun's highest point, looking over the cities sky line. It was Zaun's center piece, it's beautiful red and silver star in the center of a generally bad city. The peasants and criminals also lived above ground, and it was The Order Of The Shadow that kept them in line. Down below, deep into the ground of Zaun lived the rich and wealthy. Those of the most wealth living in connection to Piltover. The city had it's ranks, and though The Order Of The Shadows resigned at it's lowest rank, they were of the highest respect. Not because they earned it, but because they struck fear so deeply into all of those around them. Respect was the only nice way to represent their fear.

Zed had planned the whole night around the execution of Kayn. He had sold it as a witch hunt, kidnapping demons and witches from all across Runeterra and bringing them to The Order where he held them captive. Zed promised his men a blood bath, telling them that the death of all the witches and demons would grant them powers far beyond their present abilities. He promised them that they would be stronger than any other warriors that walked Runeterra. He coaxed them into believing this story so that he could also convince them that killing Kayn would be the key that would seal the ritual. That killing off all of these magical beings, and finishing it off with the blood of the Darkin man would grant them eternal power.

It was all one big lie...

Zed scoffed, thinking about strangling Kayn until he took his last breath. Snapping the demon scythe in half and throwing it to the bottom of the ocean. He imagined killing off his son-like prodigy. Killing him with his bare hands for his act of treason... his courage for having the audacity to defy The Order, the nerve of having the gall to admit his attempt to surpass Zed himself.

All of it was one big act of treason. One big stab in the order's back, in Zed's back. At least, this is what Zed saw in the cloud of delusion that was his slowly rotting mind.

The boat docked in Zaun around 6:00pm. The church bells rang throughout the empty snow covered streets, echoing off the large architecture and stone roads. As Petra and the girls left the safety of the boat she realized something wasn't quite right. Zaun was a busy city, bustling at all times of day. But now at only 6:00 in the evening? The city's upper level was a total ghost town and it sent a wave of fear over Petra. Once the bells stopped their agonizing chimes of horror the air was completely empty. Not a sound to be heard save for their steps that crunched the snow underfoot.

"What's going on?" Katarina asked, her hands shuffling along her arms to keep warm.

"I don't know." Petra spoke. "But I bet it has something to do with that." She pointed to the long line of pedestrians that we're marching up to the temple that sat at the highest point of Zaun. The city had flushed to The Order Of The Shadows. Petra knew nothing good could possibly come from it. "Let's go. We don't have time to waste. " She began to run at a steady trot, making her ascent into what could only be Zeds plan to destroy Kayn.

EDITED 11/21/17