Chapter 32

Kayn was tied up to the bottom of the mast. The rope was knotted taut around his ankles, waist, chest, arms, and neck. They made sure there was no room for him to try anything slick, and no way for him to wiggle free. He was strung up real good, and it was going to be a long trip.

He looked on quietly as the men on the boat bantered back and forth about how successful their capture of the demon man was. They bragged to their peers about how they came out of their "brawl" alive and unscathed, as if Kayn had actually tried to fight back. As they boasted and yammered on about the amazing  job they did and how easy it was for them to capture Master Zed's shining star of a pupil.

Kayn laughed...

"Is something funny to you, kid?" One of them men approached him, digging the tip of a dagger into Kayn's cheek.

Kayn couldn't help but snicker again. 

"You think it's so funny?" He pushed the dagger harder against Kayn's flesh and dragged down towards his jaw, a long thin cut appearing. "If I could fucking kill you right now I would." He spit at Kayn's chest and laughed.

"You act so big and strong," Kayn began, still doing his best to act weak and feeble. He coughed, then hung his head down before continuing. "But what are you actually capable of? You've done nothing impressive but spit on me."

"You've got some nerve, kid." The man got very close to Kayn's face. The crew had gathered around and watched on in silence. "You're damn lucky I can't kill you." He repeated himself "Because I'd have jammed this dagger straight down your damn throat." He growled.

"What? Is Zed holding you back?" Kayn laughed, his head still hung low in effort to continue to appear weak.

What are you doing, Human? Rhaast spoke from inside his mind. Kayn began to laugh, throwing his head back to the mast. "I know what I'm doing, demon." He said allowed.

"He's talking to the damn scythe!" Another man in the crowed called out. "He's a fucking loon!"

"Why don't you just kill me?" Kayn egged the man with the dagger on "Who cares about Zed?"

It was obvious he was pondering the idea. He twirled the dagger around between his finger tips, his eyes darting back and forth between the crew, Kayn, and the scythe. The man lunged forward and pressed the dagger's point to Kayn's chest.

"I'd fucking love to, I really would." He hissed "And maybe I will, yet. But for now, you're lucky." He pushed the dagger in until Kayn winced from the slight puncture it had made. 

"Pathetic." Kayn breathed "So then what are you going to do? Let me stay here the whole ride? That's not very big of you, is it?" 

Fool! Rhaast boomed Are you trying to get us killed?

"Shut up, Demon!" Kayn yelled, his eyes widening as the man who stood before him looked on, confused as to who Kayn was actually talking to.

"You're nuts." He laughed "I don't even know why Zed wants to kill you himself. You're pathetic, and this scythe is ruining you." The man placed a finger slowly to the scythe's blade, prepared to  recoil at the slightest anomaly. But, to both his surprise and Kayn's, nothing happened.

"The fuck?" Another man from the crowd stepped forward. "I heard this thing was supposed to sear flesh!" He pulled at the scythes blade. 

"I thought so too." The man with the dagger pulled at the scythe, loosening it from between the mast and Kayn's back. "Was that a lie, Shieda Kayn?" He laughed along with his friends who all began to swarm around the demon weapon.

"He must've made that shit lie up so no one else would take his precious scythe." Another spoke. 

Kayn watched on, shocked and speechless at what was unfolding before him. As the scythe was pulled away from him, which was the first time in a very long time, Kayn noticed that there was a dark aura that had formed around the weapon. 

"Rhaast?" Kayn spoke out loud, wondering if he too saw it. Wondering if he was even still with him.

I see it, human. The witch really did bind us. Rhaast was shocked himself as he too looked on to see the others passing the scythe off one by one like it was a piece of candy. It had no adverse effects on any of them, and for the time being Kayn felt normal.

"Do you feel any different?" Kayn whispered.

No, but I feel drawn to the scythe. Like I could go to it. Rhaast said, and as he spoke the dark aura around the scythe imploded and Kayn felt the demon leave his body. Within only a moment the man who held the scythe eyes began to glow red and blood began to drip from his nose. His friends began to back away slowly, the crowd of men going silent as they watched their friend's body begin to shift from human to that of a demonic figure. 

"Son of a bitch." Kayn said to himself "The bastard can jump to the scythe." He silently looked on and watched the possession unfold. He noticed that the scythe's aura had come back, but this time it was red and reminiscent of Rhaast himself. It consumed the weapon as well as the man who was obviously buckling under it's power. He looked on as the crew of men started to become concerned and anxious. They were trying to coax the scythe wielder into dropping it.

"Drop it? I feel amazing." The man yelled, blood dripping from his eyes and ears now. His skin had gone white and he glowed red with Rhaast's power. Then suddenly, like a switch had been flipped, the man lunged forward at his crew. He sliced straight through three men's torsos and in that same swing cut straight through the floor board. The possessed man yanked the scythe out from the wood and raised it high above his head, lunging the opposite way cutting into two more of his friends. 

Everyone was in panic mode now, some pulling out guns and shooting at him. The bullets passed straight through his body but he did not falter. Instead, he slammed the scythe into anyone that opposed him. Within only a few minutes the group of 20 men had fizzled down to maybe 10, all of which had stepped very far away from their possessed friend.

"This is new," Rhaast's deep voice boomed from inside the human. He approached Kayn who was wildly amused with what had just unfolded. "Did you know we could do this?" Rhaast laughed, his voice bellowing from the human's throat.

"I did not." Kayn replied. His body had reverted back to it's normal human form, almost as if Rhaast had never entered him. "Now cut me down from this blasted thing."

The demon possessed man approached Kayn and sliced down the sides of the rope, freeing his human ally. Kayn stretched his body, his neck and spine cracking freely. He waltzed over to a corpse of a man who had been wielding two machetes and picked them up, tossing them above his head and catching them before they hit the ground.

"Alright, who's next?"

EDITED 11/21/17