Chapter 39

Kayn whipped his body around and looked to Zed who stood weakly now, the demon scythe in his arms. Kayn's eyes opened wide as he gazed upon Zed's hands tracing the neck of the weapon up to the blade.

"This is it?" Zed laughed "this has no effect on me. It looks like you're not the only man capable of wielding the Darkin weapon." Zed's eyes were wide and crazed. He looked like a horrific murderer. "Or have you been lying all these years? About the scythe and your possession of it?" Zed scoffed, stepping forward. One hand fell to his side and put pressure against his wound while the other held the scythe high. "Is that it, Kayn? Have you lied all this time about being special?" Zed taunted.

Kayn said nothing, only stared on as Zed held what he felt was his key to defeating Kayn. Zed had truly felt that having the scythe for himself was the answer to defeating and even killing Kayn. Kayn  knew Rhaast was still within him, and as that thought seeped into his mind he couldn't help but to laugh.

"Laughing? Are you nervous, Sheida Kayn?" Zed stepped forward again. He was making his way, still staggering and swaying as he walked to Kayn who stood by the stage.

"It seems you've out smarted me." Kayn frowned, crossing his arms against his chest. He watched as Zed stepped and stumbled with the heavy scythe in his hands. The wound on his ribs was bleeding badly, blood dripped down his body and as he moved forward a trail of crimson

 followed him. He was in no condition to act as he was, but Kayn was amused and humored him. 

"You're a fool, Kayn." Zed approached closely now, and just as they would have met he turned and ascended up the stage stairs with the scythe acting as a walking stick. "You shouldn't have come." 

Kayn watched as Zed stpped up onto the wood stage and stood behind the row of girls who looked almost dead. They were cold, all shivering wildly from the freezing rain. Many of them were bloodied from the hail that came down so harshly during their fight. Kayn's eyes shifted from Zed to Petra, he watched as she tensed. She knew Zed was right behind her now, and he leaned close to her face placing the blade of the scythe around her neck. 

Kayn was doing his best to stay calm, he didn't want to let Zed know he was in a panic right now. He watched as Zed grabbed her damp, iced over hair in his blood covered palm and lifted her head to face his. She was still blindfolded and belted out a horrific scream. 

"Kayn!" She called out. Kayn's heart stopped for just a moment as he still looked on. 

"She must really love you, Kayn." Zed weakly laughed. "I'll release you right now if you choose to join The Order Of The Shadows and abandon your loyalty to Sheida Kayn. Does that sound like a deal?" Zed was very close to her lips, and he leaned in a little close to place a bloodied kiss upon them.

"Fuck off!" Petra yelled, trying to pull away from his touch, spitting out into the open a mouth full of his blood.

"Ungrateful, just like Kayn." Zed stood back up and scoffed, walking further down the line of captives to a blue haired girl. The crowd seemed just as confused as Kayn was, and even more frightened. They were continuously backing away from the stage, but none of them could look away. Human nature is a terrible thing.

"Zed, put the scythe down." Kayn called out, knowing it truly didn't matter either way for the time being. Rhaast was still with him, he was still powerful; But he wanted Zed to feel accomplished. He wanted Zed to be shocked when he killed him.