Chapter 14

Petra had quite literally dragged Kayn out of the bar and away from the fight. She was positive almost everyone she pulled him past saw their faces and that made her nervous as hell.

"That was dumb of you." Petra spoke quietly as they turned down a dark ally way. "I thought we were trying to coast under the radar. That was the exact opposite of staying out of sight."

Kayn was still blind with rage both his eyes red and glowing. He had blood splattered across his chest and face, his knuckles torn apart from the sheer force he applied to the vampire's skull. He took a few moments to breath deeply, slowly calming down.

"You expect me to stay calm? He would have raped you! Sucked you dry!" He was doing his best to keep his tone low but his best wasn't enough. Petra lunged forward and placed her hand over his lips.

"But he didn't. He took a good chunk out of my neck and some blood. That's all." Petra was doing her best to calm and reassure him but instead he only seemed to be getting more angry.

"Thats all?" He hissed, pushing her hand from his mouth. "You could have died and you did nothing to defend yourself!" He got into her face and was now yelling at her.

"That's enough!" Soraka tried to step in but was pushed aside by Kayn.

"Stay out of it." He growled. "Do you understand why I'm angry?" He locked his eyes with Petra.

"No, I don't." Petra spoke softly. He was scaring her and she wasn't sure how to handle it.

"This." He snatched at the crystal around her neck and held it in between their faces."This was there the whole damn time. You could have defended yourself." He dropped the shard and furrowed his brow. "Why didn't you?"

She faltered back, staggering into the wall away from him. "I-I'm sorry. I was trying not to draw any attention to us." She tried to reason.

"At the cost of your own well being? Your life?" He scoffed "You want to fight. You want to be powerful. Well you missed an opportunity."

Petra didn't say anything. Truthfully she couldn't. Kayn was right, as much as she didn't want to admit it. The three stood in the ally in silence. Kayn was still simmering down from the adrenaline rush while Soraka and Petra quietly waited for their next direction.

After several minutes Kayn had finally spoke, his eyes returning back to his normal. "The swamps. That's where your friend is. We'll leave immediately." He had already taken off and was headed down the road, his cloak returning to his head to cover his face.

"Oh, and Soraka." He stopped walking and spun around. "Don't heal that bite mark for Petra." He glared at Petra, then back to Soraka. "She needs to remember this."

EDITED 11/21/17