Chapter 6

In minutes the two assassins were covered in blood each taking shots at each other. They seemed to be speaking as they fought but she couldn't make out their words over the loud cheer of the crowd who seemed to expect this type of thing. It looked like some were even making bets.

Petra had raised herself to her feet and circled around everyone, watching cautiously at the intense brawl that was Kayn and Zed. Were they really going to fight to the death? Surely no one from the tavern would allow it. She found the man, Graves, from earlier and in obvious concern and urgency approached him.

"Are you going to let this continue?" She yelled, searching his face for emotion.

"Sweetheart you don't mess with Zed and the Order of The Shadow. Kayn had this coming for a long time." He stuck another cigar in his mouth and lit it. It was as if he were enjoying his comrade's bloodshed.

Petra's eye grew wide as she began to realize that no one here had any plans to step in and if Kayn were to begin to falter it would be her who stepped in. Currently the fight seemed neck and neck. It had sounded like Kayn was Zad's pupil and unless he had actually in fact surpassed him like he said this may not end well. Petra felt uneasy and anxious with the idea of already loosing her new friend.

And as if on queue, Kayn had missed an attack and was sent crashing into the ground. He glanced up to Zed who flicked his blades of Kayn's blood before walking over to where he had landed. Kayn couldn't stand back up fast enough and frantically scrambled, dragging his exhausted body towards Rhaast which laid only a few feet away.

"You did not surpass me," Zed hissed "Your strength is artificial and temporary." He had walked past Kayn and was now stepping on his hand that had reached out for Rhaast. "Do you have any final words?"

Petra knew what she needed to do, and knew the consequences would be dire and certainly life threatening. But she needed to make a choice and by her own will she felt she needed to step in. Thinking quickly she summoned the crystal shards that had been destroyed earlier and with all her power sent them high into the air. Her eyes glowed bright as she lunged forward, knocking Zed back from Kayn and kicking Rhaast to him.

Zed had fell backward but in a gust of wind rose himself and flashed behind Petra. Two blades extended from his hands and cut down her back as she darted forward, just leaping from his grasp.

"Fool!" He yelled, again flashing at her, a shadow mimicking his every move.

She stood still as both figures dived, but just as they happened upon her the crystals she sent into the air came crashing back down around her piercing Zed's shoulder, making the shadow copy dissipate as fast as it appeared.

By this time Kayn had reclaimed his demon weapon and the Darkin had come out to play.

"You are the fool!" It growled, voice deep and dripping with terror. He leaped forward, swinging the scythe in a wide circle that hit Zed, knocking him far back. The crowd was riled up and shocked at the turn around. Zed's group of Assassin's seemed to be just as shocked as they all rushed around the Darkin, taking shots at him in effort to protect their leader.

Bodies flew into the air and went crashing into buildings, and the crowed roared. The Darkin was single handedly demolishing the entire group and soon they realized they were no match. The demon was about to execute the man who stood in front of their fallen master when Zed spoke out.

"Enough!" The crowd went silent. "I will not fight you." He climbed back to his feet holding his impaled shoulder. "I'll be back when Kayn is ready to fight me, man to man." He growled.

"Yes, yes. Run away with your tail between your legs." The Darkin toyed "We are one, I am Kayn and Kayn is me. He has earned the right to wield the scythe, unlike you." Smoke billowed from the Rhaast's mouth, eyes glowing red.

"That is your loss." Zed replied, gathering his men to his side. "This won't be the last you'll see of Me, Demon. I will come back and I will kill Kayn."

They began to back off, not breaking eye contact with the Demon until they had completely vanished into the shadows of Bilgewater. The crowd had fallen to silence, quietly retreating back into the tavern as if nothing had happened. It was instances like this that reminded Petra why she despised humanity.

After she came back to reality and confirmed the coast was clear she rushed over to the Darkin who stood silently, shoulders bounding up and down with each breath it took.

"Are you alright?" She asked, realizing it was a silly question to ask an immortal demon.

"I'm fine, It's Kayn you should worry about." The Darkin's voice was low and unsteady as if he himself had seen his life flash before his eyes.

Within only a moment their body began to from back into that of a man and Petra began to recognize Kayn once more. He fell to his knees, the scythe weighing heavy in his hands. Blood covered his human body and the wounds were still bleeding.

"Kayn," Petra dropped to her knees as well, searching for the beginning and end of his wounds.

"I'm fine." He growled, air barely flowing through his battered lungs. She could hear him wheezing softly.

"You're not, let me help you up." She put her arms under his and went to lift him but was promptly pushed back.

"Don't. Not here. Let me suffer on my own." His words were barely above a whisper. He struggled to raise to his feet and when he did he leaned against the scythe for balance.

"Kayn," She said again, hands hovering just about his arm, ready to catch him if he falls.

"Back. Off." He hissed "I'm fine. Let's go back to our room."

Petra was silent for a moment. She watched him limp off in the direction of the INN and with all her will power she held her tongue. Although it seemed as though Kayn won, or- the Darkin won, he was still unhappy and defeated. She silently followed him around the corner, the darkness leaning closer and closer in as the moon rose higher and higher. The city was quiet, and as they came upon their stop  she paused and observed. Kayn entered the room and it suddenly had seemed like nothing had even happened...

EDITED 11/20/17